Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

stranded

laurynbelle11
Explorer C

Southwest left us stranded in Grand Rapids with no help with accomodations for the night. No hotel vouchers and no help in finding a hotel because the airport closed and they all went home. Michigan was practically shut down due to covid so no uber. If we had waited 10 more minutes to call we would have missed the last hotel shuttle for the night. What if we hadn't had smartphones or what if we didn't have money for a hotel? I guess we could have slept on the baggage carousel. And I paid money for this treatment? They gave us flight vouchers. If I have a bad experience at a restaurant, coupons for my next visit are not compensation when I won't be returning for more of the substandard customer service. 

7 REPLIES 7

Re: stranded

dfwskier
Aviator A

Sorry to hear f your troubles.

You say Southwest gave you travel vouchers. Why? Was your flight oversold and you got bumped? Southwest doesn't typically give out vouchers. If you got bumped, then the airline should have given a voucher for a free hotel room plus meals.

If your flight was cancelled, it make a difference why it was cancelled. If it was the airline's fuly (plane broke, no crew, etc), then the airline would typically provide hotel and meal vouchers.

If it was an act of god (weather for example), then the airline would have given a discounted hotel coupon, but you would have had to ask for it.

Being abandoned doesn't sound like much fun, and certainly doesn't sound like something Southwest would do.

Perhaps your best bet would be to complain directly to Southwest. You are not doing that here as this is a customer to customer forum. Here's how to complain:

https://community.southwest.com/t5/Knowledge-Base/Submitting-a-Suggestion-and-or-Complaint/ta-p/8724...

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

I'm confused about the Travel voucher comment as well.  I'm not sure we are getting the entire story.

laurynbelle11
Explorer C

I got travel vouchers but you seem to be missing the point. We were left stranded. I'm sure if they check the airport video for that night it would be very clear that we were left in a very vulnerable situation.

laurynbelle11
Explorer C

Tarmac delay so we would have missed our connecting flight in Chicago. Keep in mind these are covid days. We were left stranded at the Grand Rapids airport that closed. I've never seen an airport close. I'm sure Midway didn't close which is why we should have been given the option to spend the night where we could have gotten some service.

laurynbelle11
Explorer C

.....I have complained to Southwest, the FAA and to the governor of Michigan. You should not open an airport without the businesses open that support air travel like hotel shuttles and uber. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

@laurynbelle11 wrote:

.....I have complained to Southwest, the FAA and to the governor of Michigan. You should not open an airport without the businesses open that support air travel like hotel shuttles and uber. 

Again, I'm sorry to hear that you were stranded.

Airports don't control the operating hours of businesses. In your case, hotels control shuttles and uber drivers decided whether or not to provide service and at what times..

laurynbelle11
Explorer C

Thank you for seeing my point. You are correct that airports do not control hotel shuttles or Uber. So under the unusual circumstances of Michigan businesses being closed due to covid, it was extremely important to make sure passengers bumped off a flight are taken care of before they lock up and go home.