Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Are freight agents and Cargo agents the same position??

derekc
Adventurer C

Are the same position and would anybody be able to give me a little more details on what this position does for southwest 

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Are freight agents and Cargo agents the same position??

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Are those Southwest job titles? A quick search for either resulted in no matches on Southwest's careers site.  I recommend that you search for Southwest jobs at https://careers.southwestair.com/ and you'll see each position listed includes a job description.

--TheMiddleSeat

derekc
Adventurer C

Yea I applied for the freight agent position at LAX and got an Email to fill out a job application I believe its similar to Operations agent but im just trying to be 100% sure so I can ace this interview and get in with Southwest 

Passenger1C
Aviator C

I also searched for the posting and did not find it. Perhaps the position just closed?

Click on the link below.  It's a YouTube video explaining the general job responsibilities. Please note this is not specific to SWA. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIS2sYimtZY

SWA Passenger, Community Champion

NevadaNathan
Explorer C
Solution

Yes they are the same position.  I currently work in that department.  Some managers change the title because some parts of the country they call it Freight and other parts they call it Cargo - it's all the same.

The reason you have to qualify to be able to do both Cargo/Freight Agent and Ops Agent jobs is that the union contract allows you to lateral transfer between Cargo and Ops without having to apply and interview.  That way the company makes sure that anyone they bring in to the job can exercise their lateral transfer rights without any questions of qualifications.

The Cargo job is essentially a warehouse style job.  The short version is: the ramp agents bring in inbound cargo from the aircraft, you log it in and store it in the warehouse, and when the customer picks it up you have them sign for the shipment and deliver it to them.  Outbound shipments are the reverse, but there's paperwork and TSA security requirements to be met.  Depending on the location and the volume of work, it can be extremely slow or extremely busy.  Due to that, most slower locations are much more difficult to get into even as an internal lateral transfer.  Some locations the junior person has 20+ years seniority

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Thanks @NevadaNathan for the detailed info!

derekc
Adventurer C

Thanks for all the info. I just got scheduled for a face to face interview for that position at LAX what are some questions I should look out for and what tips would you be able to give me Thanks so much