Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Becoming a Flight Attendant

demetria_bell
Explorer C

Good morning!! I am wanting to become a flight attendant for Southwest Airlines. To be honest, I have never been on a plane but my brother, who is Marine veteran, tells me it is great fun. I do love to travel and have always wanted to be on a plane. I do have experience in customer service and interacting with different individuals from all over the world. I just need to know what the job requirements are and what the positions entails. I tried to find the information on the website but could not find the information I was looking for. I am very eager to learn. Please help!

20 REPLIES 20

Re: Becoming a Flight Attendant

ChristinaAyala
Employee
Employee
Solution

Hi there @demetria_bell,

We are thrilled to hear that you are interested in joining our Team as a Flight Attendant!  Our basic qualifications for the positions are as follows:

- High School Diploma, GED or equivalent education required.
- Must be at least 20 years of age.
- Must have authorization to work in the United States as defined by the Immigration Reform Act of 1986.

A Career as a Flight Attendant at Southwest Airlines requires a Warrior Spirit, Servant's Heart and a Fun-LUVing Attitude. We hope to see your application the next time this opportunity is available.

Best wishes,

Christina Ayala, Southwest Careers Moderator
The Southwest Community

laqua
Explorer C

How do you know when this oppurtniuty has become available? I signed up for automatic emails but I chose the wrong catergory and now I can't change it...

KelbyTansey
Employee
Employee

Hi @laqua,

Thank you for signing up for job alerts! You can find more information about your question here.

Kelby
Southwest Careers

tracy_thatcher
Adventurer B

I was a Flight Attendant for American Eagle from'94-'95 and LOVED IT. My children are grown now and I would love to get back in the air. My dream job has always been Southwest Airlines❤❤❤ I would love job alerts and postings regarding the upcoming hiring pool. I am so excited about the opportunity to apply. Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you. Tracy T

KelbyTansey
Employee
Employee

Hi @mikesavage7 -- We would love to see your application! Our closest base to Southern California will either be Oakland or Las Vegas. However, new Flight Attendants will be assigned a domicile location based upon availability and operational need.

@sandrachr2303 -- Thanks for your excitement! Having bilingual abilities always helps with our customer-facing roles. Although we will not have a separate application process for bilingual candidates, we would love to see your application for the general position! You can find more information about the application process here.

@tracy_thatcher -- We would love to see you back in the air! You can find more information about becoming a Flight Attendant with us here.

Kelby
Southwest Careers

tracy_thatcher
Adventurer B

I have created and have submitted my profile and my resume and I am beyond ecstatic that SWA will be hiring Flight Attendants!!!! I would LUV to fly for SWA and look forward to hearing from you❤❤❤✈✈✈

mikesavage7
Explorer C

Is it possible to live in Southern California and be part of the Southwest team?

Also, I am 63 and am in perfect health and am looking for a total change in my career path as an accounting manager. I love helping people and think I would fit in well. We are empty-nesters.  When I talk to flight attendants, the things they have in common are many years with the company and loving their jobs. Plus I am a private pilot and love to fly. 

Can/should I apply?  I would love working for SWA. 

Rori3691
Adventurer C

Mike, of course you should apply!! It's never too late to reach for your dreams 🙂

I'm not an employee (yet! lol) but as far as I know, the only age limitation is being at least 20 years old...

Good luck, and I hope to see you in training!

🙂

Olivia

sandrachr2303
Explorer C

Hi!!

I'm so excited to the next open hire date.....Be flight attendant at Southwest  it has always been my dream. I have a question: On February 5th, are you able to hire bilingual (spanish-english) people as well?? 

Thank you

Sandra