Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Becoming a flight attendant

deannaferguson
Explorer C

Good morning! I would like advice on the correct procedures to becoming a flight

attendant. I have searched the internet but seem to get several schools/training

agencies  that want to send me each direction. My interest is to become a flight

attendant for Southwest Airlines. Please

direct to the proper steps. Thank you! 

22 REPLIES 22

Re: Becoming a flight attendant

larissap112
Explorer C

You do NOT need prior airline experience or training! Save your money on these schools and instead focus on customer service experience, getting your passport, improving your resume, etc. Southwest isn't hiring right now, but should be in the next year! My advice: join Facebook groups for aspiring SWA flight attendants and ask your questions there. Good luck!

PHIPPMANPP
Explorer C

I AM INTERESTING ON BECOMING A FLIGHT ATTENDANT. I FEEL THAT I AM A PERFECT CANDIDATE FOR THIS POSITION.

KelbyTansey
Employee
Employee

Hi @deannaferguson,

We are thrilled that you are interested in joining our Team as a Flight Attendant! For this role, we are looking for Candidates with strong Customer Service and Hospitality skills. We do not recommend or endorse taking classes or training from a 3rd party. Some things you could do to make yourself more competitive would be researching Southwest Airlines, gaining experience in face-to-face Customer Service and being your most authentic self throughout the process. Best of luck!

Kelby
Southwest Careers

deannaferguson
Explorer C

Thank you!!!!

k_lowryy77477
Explorer C

Is there a way to get a notification when flight attendance jobs are posted? I have always wanted to be a flight attendant with Southwest since I was a little girl, we would always fly Southwest to California from Texas and it was always at the back of my mind.  I never pursued it while my kids were growing up, but now they are grown and I think I am ready for a career change 🙂

KelbyTansey
Employee
Employee

Hi @k_lowryy77477,

We are thrilled to hear that you are interested in joining our Team as a Flight Attendant, and it is great to hear of your found Southwest memories. You can sign up to receive job alerts via email at workfor.us/southwest (on desktop) or by clicking here on a mobile device. We hope to see your application the next time this position is open!

Kelby
Southwest Careers

zysmimi
Explorer C

Good Afternoon! 

Are there any flight attendant openings available at this time? I'm interested in making a career change. 

Thank you!

Teresahirt
Explorer C

Thank you! I am so excited to become a part of the Southwest Family one of these days.   When my timing is right for Southwest and Myself!    I have several friends flight attendants and pilots that are so happy at Southwest.   I will be honored to join them and you all!  I did apply Aug 2016 and got through my phone interview, which I thought went great,  But not great enough!  So until next time I can not wait! 

KelbyTansey
Employee
Employee

Hi @Christinaamos,

Thanks for your interest in joining Southwest as a Flight Attendant! Our basic qualifications are as follows:

• High School Diploma, GED or equivalent education required.
  • Must be at least 20 years of age.
  • Must have authorization to work in the United States as defined by the Immigration Reform Act of 1986.

... and that's it! We hope to see your application the next time this position is available.

Kelby
Southwest Careers