Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: CSA training (so far!)

KLaMonica
Adventurer A

Some folks will tell you that it's called Federal week, because you're filling out your payroll information, et c. In my opinion, it's called Federal week, because you're watching/studying/being tested on all the mandatory FAA/Fed information. Also, when I say "test", what I mean is you're immediately given a review to complete directly after the information is provided to you, AND the trainers are very helpful, so don't stress it.

Regarding your trainers schedule when you reach your station - 

Your trainers are your senior fellow cohearts, they are CSA's who've been with SW for some time AND have proven that they know their position inside and out. My trainers schedule is 5 am - 130 pm, Thur - Mon, with Tues and Weds off. One of my fellow trainees trainer works 12 pm - 830 pm Sat - Wed with Thur and Fri off. Fed week is typically Mon - Fri, 8 am - 430 pm, and Dallas (for me) will be Tues - Fri 730 am - 400 pm, then I return to MCO that Friday and work my Sat 5 am - 130 pm. 

Because of where I should be completing training, I won't be able to schedule bid until July (bids are the first week of the month, every month ... yes you bid every month, according to the flight schedule), so I'll be plugged into a temp schedule for the remainder of June and all of July, but will bid for August (hope that makes sense). Don't let this overwhelm you. It's a lot of information that you can't connect because you're not here yet, but I promise it makes perfect sense. 

Also, welcome aboard coheart!

From MCO with LUV 

Imani
Adventurer C

Thank you coheart!!  All of that makes sense, even the schedule bidding, I am so excited!!  I am ready to jump in running.  I to am making a career change after 25 yrs at my present company and felt the way you did before I read your post, so reading it made me even more excited, and relaxed all at the same time.

Currently studying the Airport codes 🙂

Love that you are an MCO, looking to move to FL within the next few years, maybe I’ll be working next to you some day.

From PHX with LUV

desmondrl
Adventurer A

@KLaMonica the FAA/Fed information?? Is there a site that I can find that info and start learning it now?? I've already been studying the city codes, and will be comfortable with that part of the test. I'm just trying to be as prepared as possible when I go to Dallas. I'm praying all my background info comes back in time for the 9/12 class for the CS&S position.

I've already provided my covid vaccination, birthdate, and SS# on 7/12, but am waiting for the emails regarding the drug test, fingerprint, and to actually authorize the background process.

Any insight is greatly appreciated!

Mum2JAM
Explorer A

Thank you for sharing your experience thus far!

i hope our paths cross while in Dallas.

KLaMonica
Adventurer A

Just look for the lady with the long dark hair, and wicked bad Boston accent! 😋

mel1234
Explorer A

Hi i have a question, do the csa only work 5 days per week? 

Imani
Adventurer C

Hello, when interviewing I was told that CSA’s work 5 days, with a possible 6th day being added if needed.

Margo7
Explorer A

Thanks, Imani.  Yes, we work 5 days.  We don't have to do OT until after we get signed off orientation.  

Margo7
Explorer A

Thank you, so much.  I really appreciate all the information.  I start my initial training tomorrow, 6/20/22 at OAK as CSA.  

KLaMonica
Adventurer A

Bumping this up due to seeing so many posts regarding information you may find helpful here.