Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Curious about advancement opportunities

Cobigdawgs
Explorer C

Hi all,

I'm curious about long it would typically take for career advancement opportunities, as-in if you started in one position to get your foot in the door, but you would like to work/learn other areas as well??

I've always been a person that likes to learn multiple areas, so I may be of assistance to anyone and everyone.

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Curious about advancement opportunities

bec102896
Aviator A

Hello

i am personally not sure how long it takes as i am sure it depends on the person and job and how many others want to cross train or move up the job chain and who have seniority. 

Are you a current employee? If so I do believe the best thing to do is to talk to your supervisors and let them know hey I would like to learn this and maybe move up to that position that way they could try to train you so if a position opens up they can say here you go. Now if you don't want to change jobs just say I am willing to help if needed in other positions as I am sure they can always use someone if a person calls in. 

hope this helps

Blake 

Re: Curious about advancement opportunities

ethanscott
Explorer B

@Cobigdawgs wrote:

Hi all,

I'm curious about long it would typically take for career advancement opportunities, as-in if you started in one position to get your foot in the door, but you would like to work/learn other areas as well??

I've always been a person that likes to learn multiple areas, so I may be of assistance to anyone and everyone.

Maybe you can talk to your HR department or a super senior of your who is atleast 3 levels above you and discuss the ethics you need to follow or maintain in order to advance in the field.

Ideally this would be the best way since they would have the best insights about how to go about this scenario.