Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Daughters is interested in a career as a Pilot

Taxus812
Explorer C

Hi my daughter is currently 15 and is very interested in a career as a pilot.   She has loved flying since her first young eagles flights and plans to pursue a private pilot’s license.   She is taking AP classes in High school, a LT in her JrROTC program and now needs to start picking what collages she wants to attend.   Unfortunatly we live in CT (near BDL) and she cant take advantage of your career fairs and internship programs in Dallas.  What course of study can you recomend to a young woman who would like to become a pilot ?   Where should she be starting ?

]2014-10-12 002 008.JPG

1 REPLY 1

Re: Daughters is interested in a career as a Pilot

rtbarron
Frequent Flyer A

I would recommend looking into an accredited aeronautical university such as Embry-Riddle (https://erau.edu/), Lewis University (www.lewisu.edu/academics/aviation/flight-management/index.htm), or any other university with an aeronautical program in your area.

Of course, the U.S. service academies are also an option. I'm certain that the Air Force and Naval Academies have flight programs, and I think that West Point has a flight program for helicopters (somebody correct me if I'm wrong).

Good luck to your daughter! One of my best friends started out flying Cessnas when she was a teenager, later moved on to flying turboprops for a regional airline,  and is now a 757/767 First Officer for a major airline. If your daughter has the desire, she will succeed!