Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Destination 225 Corporate Pathway

FlyingFrost
Explorer C

Hello! And thank you for taking the time to read this post. I had a few questions regarding the Cadet Pathway of the Destination 225 career program.

1. From the Cadet Pathway page, at the end of the Initial Training section, there is the phrase "Decide on flight experience pathway: CFI or Corporate". Does anyone have any insight into what this really means? Does this mean you go straight from the training for commercial, instrument, CFI, etc to a corporate jet? Or do you instruct until you reach 800 or 1000 hours or more? I haven't been able to find any information on this.
  2. The answer to the first question will probably affect the response to this second one, but I am a commercial single- and multi- engine rated pilot with my instrument rating and CFI. I currently have 360 flight hours. Is it possible to get into the program at this point to take advantage of the corporate flight experience pathway?

Again, thank you for your time. I am interested in learning more about this program. Have a great day!

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Destination 225 Corporate Pathway

FlyWithLUV
Frequent Flyer C

Hello!

I'm not sure if the community can provide the best answer to this question for you - you can email Destination225@wnco.com with your question and they might be able to give you an answer through there. Keep us updated and let us know what you hear!

FlyingFrost
Explorer C

@FlyWithLUV Thanks so much for the response! I'll send them an email and update this when I hear back.

About2be
Frequent Flyer B

Great question. I'm also interested in learning the answer. Thank you for posting and keep on sharing!

FlyingFrost
Explorer C

Please see my post with the response from Destination 225!

FlyingFrost
Explorer C

As promised, here is what I heard back from a manager at the Destination 225 program. Just FYI, I have removed personal information from this response for my, and their, privacy.

"Our pathway program is designed for pilots to build their flight time and experience while in the program. Our cut off for the cadet path is a PPL. Anything more than that and it’s a waste of your time and money. Every cadet that goes through our program has to fly every flight on the syllabus. That allows us to measure the standard. It allows us to give an Argus mitigation(lower fight time) to our program and can place cadets at any of our part 135 partners at about 700 hrs. From there, our cadets will fly at one of those partners for a 2 yr commitment before transitioning to SWA. We will also have a select group of cadets that will stay and instruct at CAE for 2 yrs before transitioning straight to SWA."

So it sounds like the main benefit of the Destination 225 program is the reduction in required flight hours down to 700. You are also practically guaranteed a job with a 135 airline and a future job with SWA if you can keep up with the syllabus. It is a little unclear how you get to 700 hours unless the syllabus (training) accounts for all 700. Seems like a great opportunity if you are just starting your flight training or just got your private pilot's license.

Justinf83
Explorer C

Hi,

I am currently employed with Southwest and I have a few questions:

1. What incentive does Southwest provide for their current employees to join 225?

2.  Will I retain my Southwest seniority if I choose to become a pilot after completion of 225?

3. How many start days does 225 have in a calendar year?

Thank you,

justin