Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

First Officer Experience Requirements ("Other Time")

ScottRobinson
Explorer C

LUV Team,

I am applying to be a First Officer and I wanted to confirm that fixed-wing inflight "Other Time" will now be considered.  This changes my total logged flight times significantly, and I did not want to overclaim flight hours or give myself an unfair advantage.

Current First Officer Experience Requirements (July 15 - August 1, 2021 Hiring Window):

• Required: 1,000 hours in a fixed-wing turbine aircraft
  • Preferred: 1,000 hours in a fixed-wing turbine aircraft as a Pilot in Command (PIC)
  • Preferred: Actively flying for 2 of the last 5 years
  • Note: PIC time is defined as Captain or Aircraft Commander of record or pilot signing for the aircraft (not sole manipulator of the controls)
  • Note: Only time in a fixed-wing aircraft is counted, this specifically excludes simulator, helicopter, WSO, RIO, FE, NAV, EWO and UAV

Previous First Officer Experience Requirements (Prior to July 15, 2021):

• Flight Experience: 2,500 hours total or 1,500 hours Turbine total.  Additionally, a minimum of 1,000 hours in Turbine aircraft as the Pilot in Command* is preferred. Southwest considers only Pilot time in fixed-wing aircraft. This specifically excludes flight simulator, WSO, RIO, FE, NAV, EWO, etc. “Other Time” will not be considered.

Thank you!

Scott Robinson

1 REPLY 1

Re: First Officer Experience Requirements ("Other Time")

dfwskier
Aviator A

Hi Scott.

Since this is a customer to customer form, I doubt that you will get a definitive answer to your question here.