Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

First Officer

daotero
Explorer C

Hi, I have a question for Southwest pilots or possibly the hiring department. I've got 1,500 hours and have just been offered a captain position with my current employer on the Lear 60.  This would come with the ATP as well as approximately 450 hours per year; I'm 22 and about to graduate college as well. I am just wondering if this would be a better option than going to the regional airlines in terms of my resume to Southwest in the future? Southwest is my goal, so I'd like to tailor my current actions to the company. Thank you for any and all advice! -D

2 REPLIES 2

Re: First Officer

SWDigits
Aviator A

You are in a great position, congratulations!

I'm a former aviator and a regular here in the discussion forums but have never applied to work for Southwest.  I've seen similar questions from others but I've never seen a reply from a Southwest pilot or someone in the Southwest pilot hiring team.  My personal opinion is that your best bet is to leverage your network to connect to some Southwest pilots and to post your question on third party, pilot specific forums.

Hopefully I'm wrong and you'll get a timely, relevant response here!

Customer | Home airport DCA

Re: First Officer

Bonywa
Explorer C

I am interested in seeing how this hiring process is working out right now as well. My wife submitted her apps months ago and has not heard anything. I figured with the pilot shortage we would have heard something by now, but perhaps administration is backed up with the recent Covid surge? Anyways she is a captain at a regional with tons of PIC time and an excellent record. Anybody here think this is normal and things are just backed up, or could there possibly be something wrong with the application/resume? Thanks in advance for any tips or leads.