Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Former employee wanting to rejoin

Sgambrel
Explorer C

Hello!

Im a former employee who needed to quit about 6 months ago due to health concerns with a family member. I loved my job! I was looking to come back and even applied for my old position but I received an email saying they had more applicants then they needed so they weren’t moving forward with my application. Does this mean they only look at the first amount of applicants they need? Can anyone give me advice on how to get my application viewed? I have 4 years experience in that same position as a supervisor so I’m hoping I’m qualified!

Thanks all!

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Former employee wanting to rejoin

pennacook
Adventurer C

I would suggest for you to join a Career Connections as they do provide conversations around resume crafting, etc.

https://careers.southwestair.com/event/614b95dcd601800006254ddd/Career-Connections

From a previous session that I attended, the question did come up regarding number of applicants. Their response was if they find a good candidate then they would close out a search. They suggest applying as soon as you see a job open. They do have SMS alerts that you can subscribe to as well.

Sgambrel
Explorer C

Thank you! I’m registered for the career connections but the sessions usually fall during mid day when I’m working my other job. I applied as soon as the job posted since I have friends still there who let me

know about it. Some people who did get interviews have never done the job so I’m curious if they give preference to internal candidates before external no matter the experience? Just trying to get my app looked at!

adrienneb
Employee
Employee

Hi there, @Sgambrel!

Thanks so much for reaching out and looking to reconnect with your Southwest Family! With popular positions, or maybe positions that haven't posed for some time, we receive lots of interest and applications! For most positions, we work to review those applications in the order received. Once we've found the pool of qualified Candidates we need for the next step of the process for a position, we let others know of that update with the goal of not keeping anyone in a "limbo" status for too long. So sorry this means your application didn't make it to the next step this time around. 

I'd encourage you to keep applying, and really try to submit your application as soon as a position posts! That will get you in earlier in the review process, and (hopefully) reunited with your former role and Cohearts in no time! 

Wishing you the very best of luck! 💙♥️💛

Sgambrel
Explorer C

Thank you so much for the info! Do they give preference to internal vs external candidates when they post a position in both areas at the same time or is it only in order of received? Is there a different amount of applications for a candidate pooI needed for different positions or is it just a standard amount even if they’re only looking to hire a few? Just trying to understand my chances! Of course I keep applying and as quickly as possible! 🙂

adrienneb
Employee
Employee

Great questions! There are some positions we open for applications to just External Candidates, some to just Internal Candidates, and some that are open to both at the same time! We still review those applications in the order received - reviewing internal applications in the order received and then external applications in the order received. So, there are times where we'll fill an opening with an Internal Candidate before we get to reviewing those External Candidates. There's not a "set" amount of Candidates we review each time we open up a position.

Thank you so much for your great questions and interest!