Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

HighSchool Internship 2023

miazhang
Explorer C

Hi everyone!

I am a junior in high school in Los Angeles. I recently came across the Southwest Highschool Internship while looking for something to do in the upcoming summer. I am just wondering if this program will be offered at LAX? Are there any eligibility requirements for the program and application requirements (rec letters, personal statements, etc.)?

Thank you!

-Mia

12 REPLIES 12

Re: HighSchool Internship 2023

FlyWithLUV
Frequent Flyer C

Hi @miazhang!

It’s amazing to see your interest in a Southwest career start as early as high school! The Campus Reach team is still working on the logistics for the high school internship and information about it will likely come in early 2023. Last year, they posted it in March but that is later than they will post this year. The internship was offered at LAX last summer, so yes, it should be offered at LAX again this summer unless changes would occur (unlikely). You would be eligible since you are a current high school junior. You must meet the GPA requirement and any other hiring requirements necessary to work for Southwest, including obtaining a SIDA badge security background. LAX is Ground Operations, so you will be working at the airport daily in the Station Services Office.

While I can only speak from previous experience, the high school internship only requires a resume. No essays or letters of recommendation are required. In addition, all applicants will be interviewed by a recruiter and a member of the station (LAX, in your case). These interviews are around 5 minutes long due to the high volume of applicants. The internship is quite selective, but if you are able to convey your interest in aviation and why Southwest in particular, then you should be all set.

It is an amazing experience and I highly recommend it! It’s life changing, and if you get the opportunity, I would go for it!

Would LUV to answer any more questions about it should they arise. Best of luck!

miazhang
Explorer C

Thank you so much for the reply! I am wondering how many high schoolers are accepted into the program for each airport. I am really interested to apply for this program and work with Southwest, but is it ok if I don't have any prior experience with aviation?

Thanks!

-mia

FlyWithLUV
Frequent Flyer C

Usually, each station for Ground Operations has around 2-4 high school interns. Dallas has more since more interns can work in the various departments of headquarters. The number of applicants depends on the location, but I would say hundreds apply each year (across the network).

You also don't need any experience with aviation - just an interest will do. The internship is really good if you want to go into aviation in the future, and it's a great way to see what the airline industry is all about. It might help to know why you want to intern at the airport, at Southwest specifically, and where you see yourself in a couple of years. 🙂

miazhang
Explorer C

Thank you so much! I can't wait to apply in 2023!

miazhang
Explorer C

Hi,

Just wondering when the information and application about the high school internship will be posted on the website. 

FlyWithLUV
Frequent Flyer C

You're welcome to reach out via CampusReach@wnco.com for an update. Usually, they are released mid-late February to mid-March. Be on the lookout at https://careers.southwestair.com/K-12resources

Mohannad321
Explorer C

Hi, I’m trying to look for internships at southwest and I can’t find any can you help find the link or the website for me to sign up on. I finished one year of college and stopped but working on my private pilot license. I would love to work with southwest!!!

g0ldenpyrite
Explorer C

692012C3-017C-4443-96B9-B87293856224.jpeg

I am also a high school junior in the Los Angeles area who wanted to apply but I emailed them and they said this year it will only be in Texas 😞

miazhang
Explorer C

I just looked on the website, too. It looks like this year it will only be offered in Texas 😭