Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Highest level of education question

Janet9
Explorer C

During the application process I chose "other" when asked my highest level of education because I attended Cosmetology School after High School graduation.  I imediately received a thanks but no thanks email.  I'm realizing now that it may appear that I didn't graduate from High School.  Is there a way to be reconsidered for the Flight Attendant job?

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Highest level of education question

yollomR
Explorer C

I hope that you were not looked over for that . In the application process they asked if you have a diploma or GED . Good luck 🍀 

andreabaca
Explorer C

I don't think you have anything to worry about cause cosmetology education is typically  considered as post-secondary education and you still need a high school diploma to apply for licensure.

Passenger1C
Aviator C

When applying for a position, keep in mind you only want to apply education that is required for the job. Unless SW is looking for someone with cosmetology experience, your high school diploma is your highest education. 

SWA Passenger, Community Champion

floridaguy
Aviator C

Despite what the legal scholars tell you on this forum, answering the questions truthfully is the only way to go.  If you had post high-school education and omitted that from the application, that is grounds for termination at some future point if you were employed.

Employers do not like to retain people who have misrepresent any type of fact on their application.  I cannot imagine that your "other" choice had anything to do with your candidacy but I can assure you, omitting facts is not a good idea.

On another board, we used to refer to people following legal advice on the forum as clients of "The University of Waxed Bar Stool".

Passenger1C
Aviator C

@floridaguy  I think you should follow your own advice. 

SWA Passenger, Community Champion

SilvainStiles
Explorer C

Please don't try to figure out what the employer thought about it. A successful person once told me there was no point in worrying about what you had already done. As a self-taught hairdresser, I gave amazing haircuts and hair coloring, but I had no education in this area. On the one hand, I understand salon business owners who refuse to hire untrained employees. On the other hand, I have met brilliant stylists who do not even have high school graduation certificates. I didn't leave my dream because of these thoughts but decided to study at the nwcollege.edu beauty school. I'm sure you have every chance of getting this job.