Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Hiring Practices

AATAZ42
Explorer C

Does anyone at SW ever actually look at a resume? I am a 23 year veteran from American Airlines with experience in many different areas of the business. I was forced into an early retirement in June of 2020. Since then, I have applied for many jobs at SW…..namely in crew scheduling. I have EIGHT DIRECT YEARS of crew scheduling experience, both as a scheduler and a manager. Every time I apply, SW comes back saying I am not qualified. Crew scheduling knowledge for the airlines is not a common skill most people have. How can I not be qualified in their eyes? Is this a bias against former AA employees, or maybe an age thing? Any insight that anyone may have into this would be greatly appreciated.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Hiring Practices

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Southwest is known for hiring people that fit their culture and perhaps not always valuing years of experience as much as a good fit. Perhaps they don't want someone who has done scheduling for a legacy airline. Or perhaps the entitlement attitude comes through on the resume.

Best of luck to you

--TheMiddleSeat

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

And there's that attitude too. I bet Southwest is very happy with its decision now.

Have a lovely weekend

--TheMiddleSeat

dfwskier
Aviator A

@TheMiddleSeat wrote:

And there's that attitude too. I bet Southwest is very happy with its decision now.

Have a lovely weekend

--TheMiddleSeat

Yup, Southwest hires people that sound like that all the time—- NOT!!!

AATAZ42
Explorer C

The attitude if for jerks like you who can’t help but to be a fool in answering a very basic honest question. I take great offense to your entitlement comment, and if you think I have a bad attitude, I’ll take that as a compliment coming from a jack leg such as yourself. 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

You continue to miss the point of my original comment that it is not always about job experience as it is attitude and personality. Based on your posts I am not surprised you were passed over.

--TheMiddleSeat