Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Introducing Destination 225°

GGAnt
Explorer C

Hi Arla,

Just checking if you have received an interview date yet. I did my assessment on 12/11/2019 and have not heard from them. I asked CAE and they said Southwest is backed up at the moment.

Hope all goes well for you!

Afpilotrr
Explorer C

As a military pilot on the staff, I threw my name in the hat for this program given I have not been flying, other than as a CFI/CFII on the side the past few years.  Since I don't have "recentcy" would this program benefit me as a ~3900 total/1500 instructor pilot in C-17 and T-6A or is our side of the normal scope?  ATP is nearly complete, just awaiting the check ride.  Thanks!

SWDigits
Aviator A

@Afpilotrr wrote:

As a military pilot on the staff, I threw my name in the hat for this program given I have not been flying, other than as a CFI/CFII on the side the past few years.  Since I don't have "recentcy" would this program benefit me as a ~3900 total/1500 instructor pilot in C-17 and T-6A or is our side of the normal scope?  ATP is nearly complete, just awaiting the check ride.  Thanks!

I don't work for Southwest but if I were you I would apply directly for a First Officer position. I also flew heavies then instructed in the T-37, I'm going to guess they want your experience. Now. Once you get your ATP you'll have all the boxes checked. Let us know if you need the links for the Southwest minimums.

Customer | Home airport DCA

cohu96
Explorer C

Hi Kelby, I received a notification that I had been moved to the next stage of the interview process, and was invited to come out to Dallas to see the Southwest HQ. They mentioned that 2019 interviews were concluded and that they were in the process of scheduling interviews in early 2020. I received that message a little over a month ago, and haven't heard anything since. Do you have any information as to when they will be sending out interview invitations for 2020? Thank you!

CoachO1981
Explorer B

Just wanted to give a quick synopsis of my experience taking the ADAPT test yesterday...

The staff at CAE were extremely friendly and helpful and we started everything on time.  They did a great job of explaining the in's and out's of the test and program itself and go out of the way to answer any questions you may have.  Was told that I should hear something back within 4 - 6 weeks and if not, then can retake it again in 3 months.  Was also told the next class would start in April and then again in June and every month after that with about 16 candidates in each class.  Top 20% of the class get to stay at CAE to be a CFI and the other 80% would go the corporate route.  Test itself took me around 3 hours to complete and as others have stated, the primary concern is your personality.  Plenty of resources online to practice the math, physics, FAST and adaptive reasoning portions.  Program cost is right at 99.5k and you can also purchase housing for 7k while you are in the program for a total cost of right around 107k.  

best of luck

jkb58d
Explorer C

I originally inquired about your Destination 225  military program and sent the requested information. I am about to retire as a rotary wing aviator with over 5k hours and 27 years of flight experience. Why in the world would I be refered to your Cadet program?

CoachO1981
Explorer B

I'm not affiliated with SWA in any way, shape or form...but would assume that the military program is geared toward fixed wing pilots with flying experience and not rotary wing pilots. But that would be me assuming and you know what they say about Assuming...lol. Btw, from one veteran to another, thank you for your service and sacrifice. 

jkb58d
Explorer C

Thank you for the reply coach. The military program does specifically mention both military fixed and rotary wing but the SW response I received does not support what they are advertising. 🙃

SWDigits
Aviator A

@jkb58d wrote:

I originally inquired about your Destination 225  military program and sent the requested information. I am about to retire as a rotary wing aviator with over 5k hours and 27 years of flight experience. 

I don't work for Southwest but I'm a former military aviator -- thank you for your dedication, I stepped away after 9 years of active duty.  If I were you I'd apply directly to Southwest.  These are the two pages related to direct hiring:

The Pilot Careers Portal: https://swa.pilotcredentials.com/

The First Officer Opportunities page: https://careers.southwestair.com/pilots

Feel free to send me a private message (click my profile name and "Send a message") with your LinkedIn contact info if you'd like to connect there.

Customer | Home airport DCA

jkb58d
Explorer C

Thank you SWD!