Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Introducing Destination 225°

KelbyTansey
Employee
Employee

Today Southwest Airlines is launching a new career program which provides pathways to becoming a competitively qualified candidate for future Southwest First Officer positions. Introducing Destination 225°

On a compass rose, 225° is the southwest directional heading; therefore, Destination 225° was developed to lead aspiring pilots to Southwest.

We are proud to announce Destination 225° and the four distinct pathways that currently make up the program:

• The Cadet pathway for those looking to start their flying career
  • The University pathway for collegiate aviators who attend a Southwest partner university or complete a Southwest Campus Reach Internship
  • The Military pathway that bridges the gap for active military pilots who do not yet meet minimum requirements
  • The Employee pathway for our own Employees—those with some flight experience as well as those who are just considering following their dreams. More information for Employees can be found by visiting SWALife >My Life >Career >Destination 225°.

You may have heard that there’s the potential for a pilot shortage across the industry. Our Destination 225° program will help Southwest reduce our dependency on the open market by allowing us to train future pilots on how to fly… and, specifically, how to fly the Southwest Way.

For participants, the program paves the way to a career at the nation’s largest domestic carrier based on passengers carried, Southwest Airlines. Implementing these pathways will not affect the highly-competitive process through which we hire Pilots. Whether a pilot is hired from our Destination 225° pathways or through the traditional process, the pilot will be held to Southwest standards.

Please visit the Destination 225° page on our careers site for more information! You can also checkout FAQs for the program here.

Are you already a qualified pilot looking for information on joining Southwest? Learn more about our First Officer position here: https://careers.southwestair.com/pilots

Kelby
Southwest Careers
96 REPLIES 96

Re: Introducing Destination 225°

Relll06
Adventurer C

Just so I understood correctly the destination 225 cadet program is like applying to go to school to become a pilot. And is unpaid and no benefits

KelbyTansey
Employee
Employee

Hi @Rell06,

You are correct. There is no cost to apply; however, candidates advancing through the selection process will be responsible for all costs incurred, including but not limited to:

• Obtaining a USA DOT/FAA First-Class Medical Certificate
  • Completing an aptitude assessment
  • Travel & accommodations to and from the testing center
  • Costs associates with the testing and interview process (including travel accommodations)

Once selected, participants will be responsible for all associated costs of the program.

Kelby
Southwest Careers

chrislewispac
Explorer C

Just a quick comment as I'm not 100% sure the 225 team is aware but there is a $200 fee to take the ADAPT test at CAE that is non-refundable and does not allow you to reschedule the appointment either. Although it is true that the initial "pre-screen" application does not have an associated fee there are significant costs associated with applying to the program to include, before ever speaking with anyone about the program, a $200 testing fee and travel costs to Phoenix.

Sincerely,

Chris Lewis PA-C

KelbyTansey
Employee
Employee

Hi @chrislewispac

I appreciate you bringing this to our attention. While there is not a fee to apply to Destination 225°, candidates advancing through the selection process will be responsible for all costs incurred, including but not limited to:

• Obtaining a USA DOT/FAA First-Class Medical Certificate
  • Completing an aptitude assessment
  • Travel & accommodations to and from the testing center
  • Costs associated with the testing and interview process (including travel accommodations)

Once selected, participants will be responsible for all associated costs of the program.

Kelby
Southwest Careers

Cmassey
Explorer C

@KelbyTansey  can you direct me to someone who can help interested schools to become a partner of Destination 225°?

joannaf
Employee
Employee

Hi @Cmassey, Thanks for your interest! Please reach out to daniel.riskey@wnco.com with this inquiry.  

Joanna F.

Jproctor
Explorer C

Hello Kelby,

I am currently a CFI/CFII/MEI and building my hours towards a career as a pilot. I don’t have the hours right now to apply to be an FO at Southwest and was wondering if I can join the Destination 225 program. 

Thanks,

Jon Proctor

KelbyTansey
Employee
Employee

Hi @Jproctor,

Thanks for your interest in Destination 225°! You can apply to the program with previous flight experience, but the Cadet pathway is designed for someone starting without previous flight experience. Prior flight time does not provide any advantages during the application and selection process or reduce the cost of training.

Kelby
Southwest Careers

Anddy103
Explorer C

Good evening,

I am at the same point in my career as Jproctor, building flight time. Will there be a different program for people like us who are already pilots that want to end up at Southwest?

Andrew Muro