Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Introducing Destination 225°

flak
Explorer C

What's the actual cost of the program (other than just less than 100k) and does it include food and housing while at CAE?

KelbyTansey
Employee
Employee

Hi @flak,

In our planned partnership with CAE, the training component of the program is estimated to be under $100k and is not inclusive of living or housing expenses. However, CAE does have apartment complexes where many of their students stay and they have informed us that previous students have been able to get loans to cover housing. As you pursue the Cadet pathway, CAE will provide more details in regards to expenses as well as possible housing information. Thanks again for reaching out!

Kelby
Southwest Careers

cohu96
Explorer C

Hi Kelby, 

This is a very exciting program! Quick question: It mentions in the D225 FAQ that relocation will potentially need to happen more than once. Could you go into greater detail of what this might look like?

Thanks

-Cole

KelbyTansey
Employee
Employee

Hi @cohu96,

We’re glad to hear that you’re excited about Destination 225°! For the Cadet pathway, participants will be required to relocate to Phoenix for the initial training period. After the initial training period, participants may be required to relocate in order to fly with one of our planned partners to accrue additional flight time. Finally, upon successful completion of the program and selection to become a First Officer at Southwest, relocation may be ideal to be near one of our 11 Pilot domiciles.

Kelby
Southwest Careers

cohu96
Explorer C

Kelby,

Thank you for your clarification! Quick follow up question: after submitting the application, how long should I expect to wait until I hear back for next steps?

KelbyTansey
Employee
Employee

Hi @cohu96

Each pathway is slightly different, but all of our applicants should start receiving communication from our team over the next few weeks. We appreciate your patience as this process takes some time. 

Kelby
Southwest Careers

cjoweb123
Explorer C

Hi Kelby,

Very interesting program!

I see that the "flight experience path" is divided between "flight instructing" and "corporate". What exactly is the "corporate flight experience path"?

Thanks!

KelbyTansey
Employee
Employee

Hi, @cjoweb123!

Great question! The Cadet pathway’s corporate flight experience path will take participants from instructing with CAE to flying as a first officer at one of our planned partners (Jet Linx & XOJET Aviation) to accrue additional flight time to meet our First Officer hiring requirements and formally apply.

Kelby
Southwest Careers

Nickb
Explorer C

I have a question I am going to be a senior in high school this year so I’m wondering if I could apply for  Destination 225° now or if I have to wait and apply in June when I graduate?

KelbyTansey
Employee
Employee

Hi, @Nickb!

We’re so glad you’re interested in applying for Destination 225°. We recommend applying upon completion of your senior year.

Kelby
Southwest Careers