Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Introducing Destination 225°

Spreilly71
Explorer C

First i want to apologize if this has been asked before, im not too great with forums.

Im very interested in this program but want to know what my first steps are. I'm about 4 months out from completing my 5 year contract with the military. I have no flight experience but some knowledge coming from an airwing background.  I also have minimal college credits/hours. I've already applied to the program, but nothing else. Are there any other actions i need to take before hearing back? Will the application viewer place me in the correct program accordingly? How long before i might hear back about my application? 

Thank you so much for the help!

crairdan
Explorer C

Fellow Destination 225⁰ Interviewees,

Hello all, I hope this message finds you well.  I wanted to share my recent interview experience at Southwest HDQ for those who have yet to visit the amazing facility, pilots, and recruiters who are working prolifically to get this program in the air.  However, I should preface that there was some mention that the interview process was subject to change, so take what I have to say with a grain of salt.

The day begins with standard procedures (i.e. getting a badge, checking in for the interview, providing letters of recommendation etcetera).  After, you are introduced to Rocky Calkins who is a manager for pilot hiring of Southwest and an active spearhead for the D-225 program.  In a conference room, Calkins breaks down the specifics of the program, its partners, the approximated duration of the training, your daily interview schedule, and the company’s overall enthusiasm for the initiative.  Here you get some time to ask Rocky any questions or concerns about the program that have been left unanswered.  After this, begins the interviews.

The first thing you should know about the interviews (and more generally, the whole experience at HDQ) is that it is relaxed.  This wasn’t just my experience, but the general consensus of the group of applicants I had the pleasure of interviewing alongside.  That being said, there were five other applicants interviewing at the same time as I was, however, there were no group interviews.  I, and each other applicant had two interviews composed of a recruiter and a pilot.  The interviews were approximately 30 minutes long and the questions varied from life experiences to work scenarios and much more (all pretty standard no-real curveballs here).  I cannot emphasize how low-stress these interviews were and how comfortable both the recruiters and pilots made the environment.  Moreover, having the intimate group of five other candidates (who you get to know pretty well) fostered a sense of comradery, as we all rooted each other on, rather than a sense of competition.

After these interviews, it is easy sailing (not that it was too rough-seas to begin with).  The interviews are followed by lunch where you get the opportunity to get to know the recruiters and pilots in a more informal setting.  This was a good opportunity to not only fill-up on some free food but to meet the other recruiters and pilots that other candidates were interviewed by, and simply converse and ask about their experiences while working at Southwest.

The last thing you get the opportunity to do on your field day at Southwest HDQ is to explore the amazing facility.  Here you get to walk around and see what is the one of the most state of the art HDQ there is.  Although this isn’t a required portion of the interview process, and the pilots and recruiters are completely understanding if you have to leave early or have a flight to catch, this is something you definitely do not want to miss out on.  The sim-bay is insane and they are only expanding as well.  It is such a cool experience and phenomenal facility that even two of the D-225 candidates who were Southwest employees (and work at the HDQ) took the tour alongside the remaining four of us.

In whole, the interview day at HDQ is nothing to sweat.  Everyone is welcoming and friendly, the actual interview is relaxed, the facility is beautiful, and the overall experience is nothing short of amazing.  As I mentioned, they may change up a couple of things here and there but I wouldn’t expect anything to deviate too drastically.

I hope your guys’ experience is amazing as mine, and I’m hoping to see some of you in Phoenix.

Tailwinds,

Cole R

fri200
Explorer C

Hey Cole,

Thanks for that run down of the interview process. I am scheduled to head to Dallas on 10/10 for the interview. While I wasn't necessarily anxious about it, it helps to have some additional information on how the day might go. 

Best of luck to you and hope to see you in Phoenix as well! 

-Brandon

Arla
Explorer A

Hi Brandon,

Just curious. How long did you wait after the ADAPT test before you were contacted by SWA to schedule the interview? You must be so excited about your interview next week!

Arla

fri200
Explorer C

Hi @Arla ,

It took a little bit less than 2 weeks. I took the assessment on 9/4 and received an e-mail on 9/18 indicating I had been selected for an interview. 

Excited honestly doesn't even describe it! This is something I feel like I've waited my entire life for. 

Have you taken the ADAPT already? 

- Brandon

Arla
Explorer A

Hi Brandon,

Just checking in. Hope you had a great Thanksgiving. I'm still waiting for my interview date, but I believe it will be in January. When are you starting at CAE? How is the process preparing for that going so far?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Arla

Arla
Explorer A

Cole,

Thanks so much for sharing your experience. I am excited and inspired. My brother is a pilot for SWA and his enthusiasm has encouraged me to give this program a try.

Can you share a bit with us about the initial testing process? When did you test and how long did you wait before being selected for an interview? Any surprises at the test itself? Would love to hear any input or suggestions you could offer.

Thank you for taking the time to post and share your experience. When will you know if you have been chosen for the program?

Arla

Newbury Park, CA

dbenson5
Explorer C

Cole,

Thanks for the great information on the interview process. My interview is scheduled for next Wednesday 10/9. Hearing that is was relaxed and stress free puts my mind at ease. Have you heard back from them about if you're in or not?

Thanks,

Dan B

Arla
Explorer A

Hi Dan,

How long did it take for you to receive word after the ADAPT test? You must be so excited for your interview!

Arla

Canela88
Explorer B

Hi Arla!

Thought I’d chime in 🙂

I applied 8/28/19. Received the ADAPT invention the next day. Took the test on 9/18 and on 9/30 Interview invite.

Hope that helps! Any other questions let me know, glad to help!