Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Is this a good cover letter?

JRTA
Explorer C

Jasmine Reed The Author is a seasoned Business Developer and Marketer with the ability to communicate in many languages. Email [address here] to work with her TODAY!

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Is this a good cover letter?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

FIrst, I really don't see the need for cover letters nowadays, your resume should speak for itself.  If you still feel inclined to use one you need to provide examples of your skills.  Anyone can say they have skills, but you need to show how you have used your skills and what benefit they have to an employer.  If you're going to go for a career in marketing your application needs to be a shinning example of how you would use those skills to market yourself.  I hope this helps, good luck!

--TheMiddleSeat

jksobonya
Aviator A

No no no no no.

"Email x to work with her TODAY!" is almost guaranteed to put you in the rejected pile every time. 

And - aren't cover letters supposed to be more than a sentence or two? If reworded a bit, it sounds more like a resume objective that goes at the top of the resume (which is also something that's getting used less, I believe). I've never written a cover letter, but I thought they were closer to one page or at least a 1/2 page in length. 

--Jessica

Passenger1C
Aviator C

I’m not able to pull up your cover letter, so maybe it was taken down?  I will tell you that cover letters are still important when applying for a job. Many large companies still expect to see one attached to your resume. Think of the cover letter as the introduction of your story to your potential employer. Make it short and sweet.

Good luck to you! 

SWA Passenger, Community Champion

bec102896
Aviator A

@Passenger1C 

I think the cover letter is the couple sentences in the post. Don’t think the actual letter was attached. 

Passenger1C
Aviator C

@bec102896   Oh okay, gotcha. I was looking for an actual document. Thanks for the note. 😀

SWA Passenger, Community Champion