Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Job scam

Mrswalton2u
Explorer C

Hello SWA community! I’ve been applying to positions and the amount of scammers is discouraging. I applied for a airline reservation position and was directed to a website to fill out an application that was NOT south west careers but southwestairlinejobs.com. Is this legitament or scam? I suspect scam but they did a real good job at making it look legit. 

TIA!

13 REPLIES 13

Re: Job scam

jksobonya
Aviator A

That is definitely a fake web site - the real careers page is here: https://careers.southwestair.com/ 

There are numerous red flags on the site you posted, everything from the Southwest logo not looking quite right to the repeated use of "Southwest Airline" and all the links at the top of the site don't go anywhere - they all link to an application form where you have to enter your SSN and upload your ID?! Haha, no, that's not how job applications work. You don't provide that kind of personal information until after you are hired in nearly all cases. 

LOL and look at this: 

Travel Benefits

Enjoy travel benefits for you and your family within the American Airlines network, including over 1,000 destinations worldwide.

Within the American Airlines network?!! 😂 Worldwide?! Oh goodness. This is appalling. 

Thanks for letting us know about it - hopefully the SWA team can get that site taken down so it does not fool others.

--Jessica

Mrswalton2u
Explorer C

Thank you for your response! I figured it was sketchy and thought it best to ask. I’m always Leary of giving any personal info via online! So many scams these days such a shame. I hope SWA can get it taken down!

jksobonya
Aviator A

You're right, scams are everywhere you look and it's best to be cautious with anything you see online. Never enter your personal information on any web site you don't know, especially when applying for a job! The only things anyone would need for a standard job application is a resume and maybe a cover letter or some samples of your work. I am sure Southwest will take care of it!

Thanks again,

--Jessica

williamh
Employee
Employee
Solution

So sorry to hear this! Your instincts were right, this is not our website. Jessica is correct, careers.southwestair.com is our career site. Thank you for taking the time to bring this site to our attention.

Job Scams are something the FTC can help with and tracks. We recommend visiting the FTC website to report the fraud: https://reportfraud.ftc.gov. Additionally, the Internet Crime Complaint Center (ic3) may also be a good place to file a complaint and it is associated with the FBI: https://www.ic3.gov/Home/FileComplaint. Finally, we recommend visiting Identitytheft.gov if you may have unwittingly given over PII, particularly your social security number.

Hi! I am one of the Moderators for the Southwest Careers board. See you around the Community!

William
Southwest Careers

ksbrg
Employee
Employee

I also just saw this fake site come through in an email, so there are people here actively working to have it taken down.

Southwest never asks for personal information like that in applications!

Zena95
Explorer C
Good night. I just want to confirm with you please. I have received a email from a John logan that say he is the online hiring chief operating officer of Southwest Airlines. I have to pay for a data reader and tracker for a customer service representative position to work from home. Is it a scam or what I'm not sure

dfwskier
Aviator A

Did you apply for the job before you heard from Logan?  If not a scam.

DId Logan say you have to buy the items from him? If so, probably a scam.

Do you have to buy these items before getting a written job offer? If so, probably a scam

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@Zena95 wrote:
Good night. I just want to confirm with you please. I have received a email from a John logan that say he is the online hiring chief operating officer of Southwest Airlines. I have to pay for a data reader and tracker for a customer service representative position to work from home. Is it a scam or what I'm not sure

It's a scam.

Passenger1C
Aviator C

No company would ask you to pay for something just for an interview. 

SWA Passenger, Community Champion