Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Military Transition to Civilian Sector

CHRISTINAHILTON
Explorer C

Greetings! My name is Christina Hilton, others know me as SSgt/USMC. I am expected to transition from USMC this September and have not only 10 years of Administrative Experience, and a Bachelor of Science Business Managment, but my mom also works for SWA! 

I have applied for one corporate position after another, and applied for ramp position for local airport which led to a phone interview. I thought it went wonderfully! 

Unfortunately, I continue to receive (not chosen at this time) emails. 

I hear there is a military ambassador program and have also contacted them but am wondering what I’m missing and why I’m having such difficulty being accepted as part of the SWA family. 

Im not just looking for a job but a career! Thanks.

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Military Transition to Civilian Sector

Passenger1C
Aviator C
Solution

@CHRISTINAHILTON  Thank you for your service. 

The link bekow gives more information on the Military Ambassador program. 

https://careers.southwestair.com/military

SWA Passenger, Community Champion

CHRISTINAHILTON
Explorer C

You are worth it!  Thanks for the info. I’ve looked over the page before but it doesn’t actually provide “how to” information; rather is more of a campaign style link from my understanding.

SWDigits
Aviator A
Solution

Thinking out loud:

• Not sure if you've seen the Emerging Leader Development Program, they have a California specific job listing up now, see here, but they also have information about the broader program, see here.  There is also a post about a former military member who was in the program back in 2016 here, you may want to see if you are able to connect with him on LinkedIn.
  • I am a fan of LinkedIn, it's usually pretty easy to find folks and I've found that most, especially other veterans, are very receptive to inquiries to learn about their job and how they got there.  You can search Southwest and USMC -- you'll see a ton of pilots in the search results but you'll also be able to find folks in other roles too.
  • I don't know if start date has been a factor for you but many hiring managers are looking to fill roles as soon as possible.  You mention you are expected to transition in September but I don't know if that factors in any terminal leave, so I'm guessing you may be available earlier.
  • You're going to find a job, just know that.  Even if it's not with Southwest right out of the gate.  I don't know you but I know that if you're a Marine Staff Sergeant then I'm willing to bet that I can trust you and that you will work hard and figure out how to solve problems by leading a team, even if you are under resourced.

Good luck!  And go Navy 😉

Customer | Home airport DCA

SWDigits
Aviator A

CHRISTINAHILTON
Explorer C

This is one I looked into as well as replied to his thread. Thanks so much! Good looking out! We as Marines could not exist without the support of our Navy, being a department of the Navy of course...Oorah!!!

CHRISTINAHILTON
Explorer C

Thank you so much for all of the information and also for your time and thorough leads!

I will be setting up my LinkedIn page next month during Seps-TAPS Class. Did you know it’s free for a year for active and veterans?

The ELDP link is for CA residents only and the broader spectrum link seems to be for “starters” looking to learn to lead. I enjoy reading veteran stories and have already begun communicating within their threads as well. 

My EAS is September and I do see that as a factor. Perhaps I wait my turn... hurry up and wait that is! 😂😂😂 ! Semper Fi!

SWDigits
Aviator A

@CHRISTINAHILTON wrote:

I will be setting up my LinkedIn page next month during Seps-TAPS Class. Did you know it’s free for a year for active and veterans?

I would set up the LinkedIn account now. As in today. So you can start making the connections. It's free for everyone, the premium subscription (I have not used) is where you get the bonus for veterans.

@CHRISTINAHILTON wrote:

The ELDP link is for CA residents only and the broader spectrum link seems to be for “starters” looking to learn to lead.

Personal opinion but I wouldn't discount the ELDP for two reasons.

1. From what I've seen in the corporate world any type of rotational leadership development program is a crown jewel type of program and opportunity. It will receive senior leadership attention, you will make connections all over the company/across business lines, and you will participate in multiple job functions learning from the ground up. It will give you street cred within the company too.

2. How do I put this one? It took me YEARS in the corporate world to get to the point where I was leading teams of comparable size to the teams I led almost immediately in my Navy career. You have to start somewhere and civilian organizations are incredibly cautious about putting someone in a leadership position. A structured program like ELDP helps them take out some of the risk they have for ANY new leader. You're an experienced leader but new to the organization. You have to prove yourself to them.

Two more of my cents, so now maybe you have a nickel. Good luck!

Customer | Home airport DCA

KelbyTansey
Employee
Employee

Hi @CHRISTINAHILTON,

We are thrilled that you are interested in a Career at Southwest Airlines! Thank you so much for your service. It sounds like you have been able to talk to our Program Lead of our Military Recruitment efforts, Tina. Hopefully, she was able to provide great information!

Additionally, our ELDP position will be posting in the coming weeks. If you are interested in receiving a notification when the opportunity is available, please provide your information here: https://swa.is/ELDP.

Kelby
Southwest Careers