Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

My experience as an OPS agent so far

mseti1926
Adventurer C

Hello SWA family! So I just wanted to give a little rundown on my first 2 weeks as an OPS agent (but 3 weeks total as a SWA employee). Let’s just say there’s way more to the position than meets the eye, but I’ve been paired up with some great trainers who have helped me every step of the way. The 1st week (federal week) was just classroom training where a lot of info was given via the instructor and on LMS (online courses), and of course we were given an all access tour of the airport. My interest began to build as I saw firsthand what my position would entail when we took the tour and I saw my fellow ops working flights.

During my 2 week OJT, I finally saw how the whole operation was ran from start to finish and boy was it a bit overwhelming, but I was definitely up for the challenge. The fact that we deal with all departments (CSA, ramp, inflight, and on occasion NOC) and the passengers in a matter of 30/40 mins (time allotted for pushing out our flights) was pretty awesome. All the more reason why I had to step up my multitasking game! From meeting the plane, de-boarding, getting all the flight info for the crew and pilots, to making announcements to get the passengers ready, boarding them, communicating to ramp regarding bags and provo, getting the final paperwork from the pilots and closing up the flight to get it out on time (or at least try to, but a lot of factors can contribute to those delays).

But what really made me come to love the our warrior spirit even more was the camaraderie my fellow ops agents had in lending a helping hand with each other’s flights making sure to get them out on time. Although we were responsible for our own flights, it did not stop many of them from helping out where they can. It truly takes a team to make this operation run and I’m so happy to be apart of it. My trainers played a huge part in my success so far and also my fellow ops agents would always reassure me that I can always ask questions when I’m unsure about anything or if I need help.
I’m so excited to be going to TOPS next week and experience HQ and continue on with my ops training and possibly share stories with other fellow ops from across the US. That will be the icing on the cake for me! So for any of you going out for ops, just be a sponge and soak it all in. It may be a lot coming all at once, but just know you’ll be in good hands because if anything your fellow cohearts are there to see you succeed! Good luck to you all in your hiring processes and for those who have joined the SWA family…welcome! #GOSWA💙❤️💛

5 REPLIES 5

Re: My experience as an OPS agent so far

Yocity2022
Adventurer B

Thank you for your experience!  I truly appreciate it.  I will start August 22nd and I’m looking forward to it.  I currently load plane flights for cargo… but I’m sure that this will be a totally different experience.  Whew!  Lol….I’m a little nervous… but I should be ok.  At your airport, is the Mandatory OT in effect?

FlyWithLUV
Frequent Flyer C

I don’t think trainees will typically get mandatory overtime but it does exist, especially on some PM shifts with extensive delays. It’s happened a couple times before.

Also, it’s so nice to hear about your experience as an OPS Agent! It’s definitely a really fun position! You’re basically running the show! Have fun at TOPS! Take a lot of pictures!

mseti1926
Adventurer C

@Yocity2022  yes our MOT is in effect, but we were told that we can’t get MOT until we are signed off by our trainers after coming back from TOPS 

Yocity2022
Adventurer B

@mseti1926 enjoy your time at TOPS!!!  I’m just taking in everything you said.  Just take everything in on Day 1.  I won’t try to stress… lol.  I’m sure we play a lot of roles within the operation.  You will definitely be one of my “go to” people just in case I have any questions.

mseti1926
Adventurer C

@Yocity2022  most definitely! I’d be happy to help out 😁👍🏼👍🏼.