Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

My first week out on the ramp.

TPArampgirl
Frequent Flyer A

This has been my first week out on the ramp, and my second week of training. My experience so far has been amazing. Everyone has been so welcoming and willing to help. If I have a question or need help, I'm not talked down to or treated like I'm dumb. They want to help and everyone gives you tips on how to do the job safely and efficiently. The rampers take care of each other here and I've heard that said by many people which is reassuring. As for the actual work, it is tough. It's coming up on summer and it's only going to get hotter. My knees are raw from the humidity and kneepads. My body aches everyday. My shoulders, back, knees, and feet are taking a beating. I keep hearing that it'll get easier on the body. But really, I love it. 💙 I love feeling like I worked a hard day and I made it through with a smile. One of my favorite things is seeing all the little faces watching from the windows and how excited they get when you just give them a little wave. Their tiny smiles have been a beacon on those tough days. The small interactions you get to have with the pilots and crew are so warming. They treat you like they already know you. We are not just co-workers, we are co-hearts.

But mostly, its seeing, touching, and being up close to these big, beautiful machines that spend most of their time floating through the heavens. 😊 This is where I want to be. 

8 REPLIES 8

Re: My first week out on the ramp.

jmalloy
Adventurer A

Thanks for the update. I'll be out there at the break of dawn tomorrow for day one. I'll update after week one.

TNuts
Frequent Flyer C

Took my body about 6  weeks to get back in shape. If I was younger(53) would have probably been sooner. Been back on the ramp for 8  months now and I enjoy it. Don't be afraid to ask any question how insignificant you may think it is. I am still asking questions and everyone has been great in answering them. Welcome to the SWA family!  

DaleDB1
Adventurer C

Thanks for the update. Great review of what cohearts can look forward to!!

Pambo4256
Explorer B

Thanks for all of your updates!  I'm curious....how are you doing now?  For your very first week for ramp, were you just in front of a computer?  I am starting on 5/16 out of CMH (ramp).  I'm slightly nervous because it's been so long and hope I can hack it!  I'm not as young as I used to be and it's been several years since I've worked on the ramp!

TNuts
Frequent Flyer C

Don't be nervous, you will be fine! I was the same way when I got hired on last August for the ramp. I am also not as young as I used to be(53 now), but I had previous ramp experience and that helped out a lot!  Make sure to ask any questions you may have no matter how insignificant you may think it is. It took my body little over a month to get back into shape. Just make sure to stay hydrated as we are getting into the hotter months. It also helped that I stretched before my first plane arrived. Welcome to the SWA team and be safe and have FUN!

Pambo4256
Explorer B

Appreciate the encouragement!  I'm the same age!  So, it's been a minute!!  Answer a question for me, please:  do you have all shaped and sized out there on the ramp?  I'm a bit on the "smaller" size and I'm concerned they'll laugh me off the ramp!

TPArampgirl
Frequent Flyer A

There are plenty of people all shapes and sizes out there. Just for reference, I am 5'6", and 185-ish lbs. I am a solid girl. I'm not too tall, but I'm also taller for a woman. There are women out there smaller than me. Depending on the plane, you may not even need to be tall. The only thing I have trouble with is getting the power connected on a Max 8, but there is a stand that can help with that. Also, there is a second comms connection on the Max 8 that is perfect for us smaller people. I find that being smaller while in the bins is easier. You don't have to be so scrunched up while working. Lol. There isnt any piece of equipment thats super heavy, so I think you'll be okay once you get back into the groove of things. And if you need help, don't be afraid to ask.

You'll hit the ground running, but don't be too nervous. Everyone is there to get the job done safely and efficiently. Have fun and Good luck!

zxcvb531
Explorer A

you have videos to watch and some classroom training before they put you out in training  at your station then later off to Dallas to get signed off