Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Newly hired pregnant ramp agent

Eredd
Explorer A

Hello all. I have, and still do, wanted a job with SWA for so long. I finally have been hired and found out I was pregnant. And my start date puts me at about 7 months at that time, the hiring process was really long and start dates pushed out months. Anyway, the person who gave me my start date told me if I can get through training Southwest will accommodate me. I would love more information on what this means and anyone with experience here can I “make it through” training. 
I plan on pushing myself as hard as possible. I really want this job badly. I’m healthy also, albeit just pregnant. 
thanks in advance for all responses. 

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Newly hired pregnant ramp agent

TPArampgirl
Frequent Flyer A

I am so beat up everyday. I can't imagine doing it all again being pregnant. I don't want to sway you, but baby's health has to come first. Can you request a later start date? Ask for any other options or accommodations. Maybe a job change to CSA or Ops? That would be my advice as a mother and new ramper. 

Eredd
Explorer A

Thank you for replying @TPArampgirl 

i asked for a later start date and was told I would have to reapply, which we know you have to wait a year to do and that’s IF they are hiring at that time. Which led her to tell me if I can make it through training they would accommodate me. But I’m wondering how hard is training, can it be done?

TPArampgirl
Frequent Flyer A

I would talk with your obgyn. You'll be bending, crouching, crawling, walking on elevated surfaces, lifting 50lbs (these bags arent light), there will be very loud noises (jet engines), breathing in jet fuel/exhaust. And of course, you'll be working outside in the heat. Discuss these factors with your doctor. If you already have ramp experience, it'll be an easier transition. Personally, I know how well my pregnancy went and I dont know if I could handle this while pregnant. I'm going to say, give it a try and see if they'll work with you. If you and your doctor decide it's not for you, the door is not shut forever. Don't forget that. 

Eredd
Explorer A

Thank you for your great insight, and all you offer to the forum here. You are super helpful/responsive. 

I will keep this thread updated on how it goes. 
start date 6/20 🤞🏾💙❤️

TPArampgirl
Frequent Flyer A

That's my son's birthday! Maybe that's a good sign! 

And you're welcome. 😀 

Eredd
Explorer A

Update*

hello all 

so I have made it to my start date ( well almost lol)

I am excited and anxious. My station manager called me today and invited me to come to my station ( I start at a different station at first) and start my paperwork, meet him and take a tour. 
I’m soooo happy and anxious. I’m glad it’s here. I love the SWA vibe and happy to be joining the team. 
The anxiety stems from being soooo heavily pregnant now. I’m scared it may be off putting to my team and I may not be accepted. 
i hope it’s not the case and SW and I are in this for the long haul. 
At any rate, I will continue to keep this thread posted. 
I will write again tomorrow after I have my first meeting with my manager, and again after my first day. 

Eredd
Explorer A

Update**
well I didn’t write the next day. I was soooo busy. But I enjoyed my first two weeks at SWA and my station/team is really awesome. I had to get a drs note for accommodations and unfortunately SW found it best to place me on medical leave. I cannot return without clearance from my doctor. It’s devastating because I love my new position but at least I still have a job. 
I didn’t get to go to Dallas, so hopefully they will still send me cuz I’d really like that experience as well. 
guess I’ll be back after I give birth in a few weeks. Can’t wait. 💙💛❤️

TPArampgirl
Frequent Flyer A

I'm glad you got put on leave and are able to come back! Take the time for you and baby. There will be plenty of bags waiting for you when you get back! 😉 I'm sure you'll still get to go to Dallas. You get some training/testing while you are there. Good luck and I hope everything goes well! 💗