Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Now Hiring: Emerging Leader Development Program

KelbyTansey
Employee
Employee

Do you have a passion for Customer Service and Frontline Leadership? You could be a perfect fit for our Emerging Leader Development Program! This role will be posted beginning today (August 6th) through Sunday August 19. You can find more information and apply today here.

We know that you may have questions about this Program. We have provided some FAQs below:

Q: When will the program begin and end?

A: For this class, the program will kick-off on January 14, 2019, and graduation will be in June 2020.

Q: What is the pay rate for this program?

A: The pay rate is $21.40 per hour.

Q: What am I committing to with this program?

A: Lots of travel! – to Dallas and other locations for training. Participants also MUST be willing to relocate to a location that is based on company need and not participant preference. This is an 18 month rotational program plus one year in final placement requirement, so in all it will be a 2.5 year commitment.

Q: Will I receive relocation assistance?

A: Candidates are eligible for relocation assistance when accepted to the program and at the end of their 18 month rotation when placed in their permanent leadership position.

Q: Could I complete the program if I am currently enrolled in school?

A: We encourage Candidates to complete their schooling prior to entering the program as we will not be able to work around any school schedules and they must report to their host location up entering the program -- No exceptions can be made.

Q: What is the placement process?

A: The placement process and the host locations are based on company need.

Want to learn even more? Check out this blog post by an ELDP Participant.

Interested in learning more about our ELDP program? Read this blog post by ELDP Graduate, Joseph Grant.

Kelby
Southwest Careers
13 REPLIES 13

Re: Now Hiring: Emerging Leader Development Program

ILV2fly
Adventurer C

Hi @KelbyTansey,

I have eagerly waited over a year to apply and did so earlier today. I’m sure this position is extremely competitive, but I look forward to the possibility of learning to lead The Southwest Way. I look forward to hearing from your Recruiting Team.

Have an awesome day!

ILV2fly

mvt1991
Explorer B

This does seem like an awesome opportunity!  I have also applied as this looks to be a great chance to join the Southwest team and learn so much while developing as a leader.

AdamMCox
Explorer C

$21.40 per hour.  That’s $856 a week?  Less benefits from this?  Do you pay for housing and meals at this Rate?  

The Cost of living is different in many Cities and regions of the Country as you know.  Does Stipend curve or slide Regional with the Cost of Living?  

KelbyTansey
Employee
Employee

Hi @AdamMCox,

Thanks for your interest in our ELDP opportunity! A housing allowance is provided for the duration of the program, however the allowance and pay do not fluctuate based on region. We do cover meals during any training days at our Training Facility in Dallas. Additionally, program participants are eligible for mandatory and voluntary overtime during the program, with the exception of the Customer Service & Support rotation. 

Kelby
Southwest Careers

AdamMCox
Explorer C
Hello Kelby,

Great information.  Thank you very much for the detailed overview.

Kindest Regards,
Adam

Passenger1C
Aviator C

@KelbyTansey the program sounds like an amazing opportunity for Leaders who are looking to invest in an exciting career leading SWA. I went through a similar program many years ago at my Company, and I am still benefiting from the learnings I gained, and the relationships that were formed. 

Best of luck to you and the rest of the SWA recruiting team who have the privilege of shaping the future of the airline.

SWA Passenger, Community Champion

kbethea48
Explorer B

@KelbyTansey Thank you for sharing this opportunity with group. Sounds like an amazing program. I do have a concern about my submission. After I completed the application process, it went to my dashboard but the status says "close complete." I would think it status would say "submitted" or "under review." I would love to be considered for this program, but afraid something may have went wrong.

Is there an email, I can share my concerns.

Thanks for all you do

ILV2fly
Adventurer C

Hi @kbethea48,

I can’t speak to your specific situation, but I have submitted applications where the status went directly to “closed complete”. My best guess is the automated screener either didn’t like how many times I answered “no” or I answered “no” to screening questions that needed to be answered with “yes”.

If this is the case with your application, it would be best to look at some of your “no” answers and determine how to be able to answer them differently when the position is posted again next August.

In the meantime, you can create job notifications so you’ll receive automated emails for other positions at Southwest if you’d like.

All the best,

ILV2fly

kbethea48
Explorer B

@ILV2fly thank you for the feed back. I did go back to review the questions that I answered "no" and the only one that was a "no" was the one that asked if I ever been employeed by Southwest.

The issue maybe be because I completed the application through a dashboard on a previous position that was posted, that recently closed. (At least I hope that was the case)

Thanks again