Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Operations Agent (Part-Time) job opening in El Paso, TX

ryanmontes
Adventurer C

Hi everyone!

My name is Ryan Montes and I am a 22 year old, college student. I just made an account here to be a part of this community in case I have questions, comments, concerns, or compliments. Friday night/early Saturday morning, I applied for a part-time Operations Agent job here in my hometown of El Paso, TX (KELP). This was a job where I applied as soon as I saw it because when an airline like Southwest or any major airline has job openings here, they're gone within the blink of an eye sometimes. I just have a couple of questions regarding the application process and the dress code for them. The status is currently at "Received Submission" and I was wondering how long it will take before the status changes. With the dress code, what do the Ops Agents wear in case I get the job? Long sleeve shirts, Southwest t-shirts, or something else? If anyone can help me with these two things, or even add anything else about the job, that'd be wonderful!

- Ryan Montes

14 REPLIES 14

Re: Operations Agent (Part-Time) job opening in El Paso, TX

rtbarron
Frequent Flyer A
Solution

Hi Ryan.

The Operations Agent position is a great job. Besides planning the payload for the flight and doing the final closeout, the primary responsibility of the job is boarding the passengers. It requires a bit of patience and a willingness to give Southwest passengers the great service that they expect no matter how busy you are.

The status of the job will remain "Received Submission" until Southwest takes further action on your submission. If Southwest likes what they see on your submission in regard to education and work experience, you'll receive a phone interview from a recruiter. If you impress the recruiter on your phone interview, you'll be invited to a face-to-face interview, most likely at the airport. Your status should change to "Under Review" at that time.

The time it takes to hear from a Southwest recruiter varies from position to position, so don't get discouraged if you don't hear back on your submission right away. It may take a week or it make take over a month.

Operations Agents wear approved Southwest uniforms which, from what I've seen, vary from khaki shorts and short-sleeve polos to slacks and a long-sleeve button down shirt. The phone recruiter should be able to give you more information about agent uniforms. If you go to the airport, one of the ticket counter agents may be able to answer your uniform question also.

Good luck to you!

ryanmontes
Adventurer C

Hi rtbarron,

Thank you so much for your feedback! As crazy as this may sound to some people, I've never had an actual job yet so to speak because of school, but since I have a VERY light schedule this fall (2 face-to-face classes Mondays-Wednesday's and 1 online class), I figured it would be a perfect time to apply. I originally wanted to be a ramp agent but when they had an opening here a few weeks ago, the job had already expired but if Southwest can let you do double jobs, that would be awesome hahaha.  With the application process, that helps a lot, knowing it can be quick or about a month depending where you live. I do hope that my application/resume is good because I graduated high school with honors and I'm involved with different clubs right now at El Paso Community College (EPCC). Attire wise, that sounds great. I like both khakis/polos or long sleeve/long pants but as long as my strong, communication skills are able to help customers is what matters to me and the company. Now I wonder how long the training takes.

- Ryan Montes

rtbarron
Frequent Flyer A

@ryanmontes wrote:

Hi rtbarron,

Attire wise, that sounds great. I like both khakis/polos or long sleeve/long pants but as long as my strong, communication skills are able to help customers is what matters to me and the company. Now I wonder how long the training takes.

- Ryan Montes

One small correction. Southwest uniforms have changed from khakis to a dark grey for the pants or shorts. Hopefully that pallette still works for you.

Training consists of two weeks in Dallas with lodging and food paid by Southwest, followed by on-the-job training at El Paso.

Let us know how it goes. If you get the job you owe me some Chico's Tacos. Smiley LOL

ryanmontes
Adventurer C

ryanmontes
Adventurer C

Oh ok so they made it more modern when it came to clothing. I think you can wear whatever color polo shirt as well. Hahahaha, Chico's Tacos?! I've only had Chico's ONCE or TWICE. It's funny how people automatically think of Chico's when they think of El Paso lol!!!

ryanmontes
Adventurer C

One thing I've been wondering too is if they e-mail you about having a phone interview and if they do, what number would they call from?

rtbarron
Frequent Flyer A

@ryanmontes wrote:

One thing I've been wondering too is if they e-mail you about having a phone interview and if they do, what number would they call from?

It varies from position to position. Sometimes they send an e-mail first, sometimes they call. Whether they e-mail or call, the first contact is to set up a time for the phone interview. It is usually scheduled for the following day or the day after.

A lot of the phone interview calls come from a Phoenix phone number but you may see a call from Dallas also. And many calls from the Southwest People Department come from an "Unknown" number. Southwest recruiters understand that candidates value their privacy and will leave a detailed message if you don't pick up the phone.

ryanmontes
Adventurer C

Hi rtbarron,

I apologize for getting back to you a few days late, I didn't even know you replied. I guess I'd have to look up Phoenix and Dallas area codes then. It's good to know that they leavea detailed message if you aren't able to answer right away. With the two week training, what hotels does Southwest have you stay at and what would be your source of transportation to/from the training, to a restaurant, and around Dallas on your free time? I apologize for all the questions, I just want to be  prepared and ahead of the game in case I do get the job

rtbarron
Frequent Flyer A

I don't know which hotel Southwest uses for new hires during training but I do know that it has a free shuttle to and from TOPS (the training building). As far as getting to restaurants and getting around Dallas, I assume that new hires would use DART Rail since there's a station (Burbank Station) located right next to the Southwest campus.

I'll be in Dallas after August 6. Ask me after that and I'll be able to answer your questions more completely.