Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Please post hiring timelines! ๐Ÿ™

brittg72409
Adventurer B

@Redruss91 Also, is it just me, or are apartments in Dallas notorious for not answering their phones?! This apartment search has been ROUGH. As soon as I have a start date, Iโ€™m going to have to go up there for a weekend to search in-person at this point.

Redruss91
Adventurer C

Its been really rough to find an apartment that suits what I need! I need pet-friendly, and the extra charges for that are outrageous. Also have to find a spot where the commute for my wife and her potential new job isn't too bad. I am grateful that Dallas has a decent Metro system with a stop right by the corporate headquarters building. Monthly pass is only $97, so that will give me some good savings in gas. My commute to my current job is 42 miles one-way, lol.

brittg72409
Adventurer B

@Redruss91 same here. I have a โ€œrestricted breedโ€ dog so that has been a challenge. I own my home in my current city, so these arenโ€™t things Iโ€™ve had to deal with in quite some time, and of course I canโ€™t buy a home in Dallas until this one sells so Iโ€™m stuck with an apartment for now. 

Also, be careful when paying application and admin fees! Iโ€™ve lost out on $500 from applying at places, paying the fees, then finding out theyโ€™ve leased the apartment to someone else. They will not refund them even when itโ€™s not โ€œyour faultโ€. 

Lastly, I just heard from my recruiter that fingerprints arenโ€™t required anymore, so hopefully that applies to your position as well. 

Redruss91
Adventurer C

Thanks for the heads-up. We aren't putting in any applications until we have a chance to travel out and actually look at the apartments, and then we will put an application in in-person. We are in a similar situation, in that we own our house right now, but I think we are going to try to rent it out instead of selling it.

Also, I bet the no fingerprints rule is just for the corporate positions. I think the airport employees still have to do it because they have to have a USPS background screening as well since they sometimes handle mail shipments.

With our timelines, I bet we will both find out around the same time when our start-date will be. Just out of curiosity, what state will you be moving from? I am relocating from Florida.

brittg72409
Adventurer B

@Redruss91 I live in Texas, just about 3 hours south of Dallas. I planned to spend my last few weekends in Dallas, but I broke my ankle so Iโ€™ve been unable to drive over there. Thankfully I only have 3 weeks left in the cast, so itโ€™ll come off just in time lol! 

GelleyRiv22
Explorer C

@Redruss91 @brittg72409 hi there! DFW resident here! Word of advice, donโ€™t be afraid to enlist the help of a real estate agent for private owned condos in addition to apartments. Also, registering a restricted breed (I have a pit Bull) as an emotional support animal usually gets them cleared to live on property and avoids pet fees/rent! Farmers Branch/Carrollton/ Irving are all pretty close to the Corporate office and have easy access to the DART system as well. Good luck with the rest of your process and search! Iโ€™m waiting for a start date as well ๐Ÿ˜Š

brittg72409
Adventurer B

@GelleyRiv22 I found a nice place in Irving! Just waiting on a start date before heading that way to your it and apply. 

Redruss91
Adventurer C

@GelleyRiv22 We are actually looking in the Euless/Centreport area for a place. It looks like my wife will be able to get a position teaching at Trinity Lakes Elementary School (HEB ISD), so we are looking for a place closer to her employment since I am planning on taking DART into work once we get established, and she will have to drive. Do you have any suggestions about who to contact or any good complexes in those areas?

brittg72409
Adventurer B

@GelleyRiv22 did you get your start date?  

mdlee3
Explorer A

Iโ€™ve never looked for apartments in the Dallas area, or anywhere in Texas for that matter, Iโ€™ve noticed though that apartments in many cities donโ€™t answer their phones. So I do searches on apartment listing websites, then see if the apartments have a Facebook page and, if they do, I reach out to them on there and explain my situation and what Iโ€™m looking for and ask for the best way to contact them other than a physical visit to the complex. The vast majority of the time, theyโ€™ve replied back with a phone number and that number, they do answer or will at least return a call if they canโ€™t answer for some reason.