Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Preparations necessary for a future application for a Flight Attendant Position

graceogea
Explorer C

Hello!

I am currently in my third year of a four year Business degree at Mcneese State University in Lake Charles, Louisiana. Due to the virus and multiple natural disasters for the year 2020 I am interested in becoming a Flight Attendant. With some research, if all is accurate, I have found that upon application you must have : current passport, high school diploma. But this is where my information stops, I am aware that you must be accepted or get the position before anything can be done. My question is what are some significant actions I should take in order to be fully prepared for my application when things start to go back to normal?

Thank you for your time!

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Preparations necessary for a future application for a Flight Attendant Position

joannaf
Employee
Employee

Hi @graceogea

Thank you for your interest in becoming a Flight Attendant at Southwest Airlines! We do not currently have any openings for this role, but we encourage you to join the Talent Community to be notified when the position opens. We think all of our careers here are rewarding and we would be thrilled to see your application for other roles that you are interested in!

As for preparation, you are correct. The basic qualifications do include a high school diploma or GED, must be 20 years of age and authorized to work in the United States as well as possess a valid, unexpired passport. Also, it never hurts to make sure your resume is up to date and ready to go for when you're able to submit an application. 

Thanks again for your interest and best of luck to you in your future endeavors! 

Joanna F. 

Joanna F.

Re: Preparations necessary for a future application for a Flight Attendant Position

Suanny2021
Explorer B

Hello,

Im interested in how is being a SWA flight attendant.

1)What is seniority and how is determined?

2)When can a flight attendant pick up shifts to make  its own work schedule?

Thanks

williamh
Employee
Employee

Hi @Suanny2021. We're glad to hear you're interested in joining our Team! Seniority is based on when your join our Inflight department. Schedules are generally assigned monthly, and you can trade them at your leisure. The specifics on how to trade and what trips can and can't be picked up are things we'll go over during training.

In the meantime, we encourage you to join the Talent Community to be notified when the position opens. Best of luck! 

William H.

Hi! I am one of the Moderators for the Southwest Careers board. See you around the Community!

William
Southwest Careers

Suanny2021
Explorer B

Hello,

My question is once you are an experienced flight attendant of 20 years for example, can you make your own schedule and pick up trips ?

Thank you