Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Question about city codes

bsmithwmu
Adventurer C

@GracieLou  Send me an email to bes.phoenix@gmail.com    and put airport codes in subject line and I'll send ya a copy of mine. let me know on here when you sent me your email and i'll look for the email and send you the list. What position are you applying for and maybe I can give you the small insight I've encountered so far. It's been a very good experience so far! 

GracieLou
Explorer A

Thanks! Finally figured it out 🙂

bsmithwmu
Adventurer C

@GracieLou  perfect! nevermind on email then 🙂 if you are applying for CSA position and want any info or have questions, please reach out and though I'm new, I may have a little knowledge to help. Good luck!

GracieLou
Explorer A

Thanks! @bsmithwmu !! I have a million questions lol!!!  Can you recommend a great pair of shoes that are acceptable?  Also, is the airport code test the 1st week or is it in Dallas?

bsmithwmu
Adventurer C

@GracieLou  first things first...are you hired as CSA ? There are many ground ops positions, csa, css ,cargo, ops ... so thats the first thing b/c I can ONLY comment on CSA and CSS as we are on the same training schedule starting. Cargo/ops spent 2 days with us then went onto their own schdule. 

In my training, in my location of Arizona,  CSAs and CSSs schedule is week 1 orientation. Don't worry about what you wear with exception to offensive or crude words on your clothing. Personally, I would shy away from wearing anything political as well. You will be ordering uniforms (they'll fit you for bottomwear) which they pay for. You PROBABLY wont get uniforms before training at airport, but during this time, they ask you wear comfortable clothing (again non offensive) and keep it clean. Tennis shoes with a polo type work just fine. Cant wear any uniform clothing unless fully uniformed. WHEN you are in uniform, then comes restrictions. black shoes (tennis shoes are fine) with black bottom trim. I personally have been dressed up more , but thats bc that's comfy to me. My slacks/khakis are more comfortable than jeans for my preference (prob bc I worked MGMT and I was used to wearing dress clothes/ties). Some wore shorts and t shirt. jeans. doesnt matter. 

During this week you'll have a great instructor teach you various things you may be doing in your position. For CSAs you may work the gate area, you may work baggage office, may be putting bags onto belt when people check their bags... lots of diff things. You'll learn about TSA rules and regulations. You'll watch powerpoints. You'll get training on the computer and you will take tests. These tests are designed to make you succeed, not fail. DO NOT worry about these tests. I will not go into detail what they are about, but you are designed to pass them. The instructor will encourage you to learn the airport codes. They will stress you need to know them. For my position, we do not test for them until Dallas which is week 3 after orientation for us. That does not mean don't study them. If you start learning Aug 1st  (5) codes a day, cities and codes (know them both ways) you'll know every code before you head to Dallas, so that is my advice. Don't overwhelm, but add to you list every day. If you are a ramp agent, they may need to know the codes that 1st week. I do not know their requirements. It sounds like they are different, but I do not have that knowledge.
I won't talk about any specific on what we learn, but that's why you go to orientation. From the people I've met, talked to, learned from, etc, it feels like a system where they'll train you until you feel confident enough and they feel confident enough to unleash you to the wild. Lots of jobs 1 week training and you'll learn from experience...hear, nope! 7 wks, 8 wks continuous training. When I say that, I mean you'll be with trainers. Maybe learning something new, maybe receptive work that you'll catch on quickly, but still will have a trainer there with you until you're ready. Sure you'll learn things far after training, but SWA really seems to have something in place for succeeding rather than failure. Again I'm still new, but it's no where near as overwhelming as I thought it'd be! Last advice on this message is simple... converse with people!!!! Get to training and introduce yourself to your peers. you'll be with them the next 10,20,40 years. You don't have to be best buds, but learning their names, where they're from, what is their past work life like, and WHY SOUTHWEST !?!?  You're going to hear "I worked at mcdonalds before this" "I worked at a bank" "i worked as a flight attendant and retired, now I just want to be on the ground part time" ... but dont be afraid to talk, ask questions, etc. My class REALLY seems to click well together which has made it all the better. We're in a group text. sharing photos of each other in class together, asking questions about schedules, parking, etc. Having good chemistry with your orientation class will go a long way , so like I said. Open up and converse. Share some laughs and have an open mind. SWA will help you succeed so stop worrying!!!!

GracieLou
Explorer A

Thanks! Yes I am hired as a CSA so this is helpful.

bsmithwmu
Adventurer C

@GracieLou  you're welcome. Which airport? when is your start date? 

GracieLou
Explorer A

I am in PHX, start date is 8/8/22 and I am pumped!!

bsmithwmu
Adventurer C

@GracieLou  PHX!!!!!???? YOU'RE GOING TO LOVE the people you meet!!! Dan the Man will be your instructor I'm sure. He is FANTASTIC !!! You've prob already talked to Bert, again awesome ! From day one they talk to you like they've known you forever... dont baby you by any means, talk to you like a friend, not business like so to speak. Very comfortable level. You'll be starting orientation between 6-7 am pending the day. out between 2-3:30pm. orientation will be a couple miles from airport, parking on site (no cost). You'll probably meet Dan, Bert, Kelley , and Jeremiah that week. No bad things to say about any of them. Prob near or over 100 years of service combined from just those four, so you can learn a lot from them in that short time! 

TPArampgirl
Frequent Flyer A

Would you mind making this comment into its own post? This comment has such valuable information in it that I think a lot of newly hired CSAs would appreciate reading about your experience!