Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Questions about Customer Service Agent

wanderlust8706
Explorer C

Hi, I'm interested in the Customer Service Agent Position and was able to submit my app before it closed. It looks like it was only open for 4 days. 

I have questions for those work as a CSA:

-What is the most challenging part about this job? The angry customers?

-How competitive is this job? Do you only interview a small percentage of applicants?

-Apparently the airport i applied for has internal applicants first and then external for a very short period of time. Is this normal?

-Do CSA have unions or is it only pilots and Fa's?

I know i will have more questions later 

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Questions about Customer Service Agent

FlyWithLUV
Frequent Flyer C

Sorry for a delayed response. This is not official in any way, but just what I know from experience and hearing from others.

@wanderlust8706 wrote:

Hi, I'm interested in the Customer Service Agent Position and was able to submit my app before it closed. It looks like it was only open for 4 days. 

I have questions for those work as a CSA:

-What is the most challenging part about this job? The angry customers?

Angry customers are one part, but I would say the main thing is adaptability. What do you do when a flight is cancelled last minute, or delayed for many hours? How do you communicate information to customers? Your shift ends at 11 PM, but what if they need you to stay later? (this is known as mandatory overtime by the way) With all these challenges, you still have to smile, show up to work, and bring that fun LUVing attitude Southwest is known for. These responsibilities come really naturally to some people - for others, it might not so being a CSA might not be the best fit.

-How competitive is this job? Do you only interview a small percentage of applicants?

Depends on the station, but CSA postings can be competitive. Most applicants with qualified resumes will receive interviews. Out of those with interviews, only few are chosen. Southwest wants to make sure you have the personality and warrior spirit - also that you are in it for the long run. Southwest doesn’t ‘train’ people to be kind, they hire kind people.

-Apparently the airport i applied for has internal applicants first and then external for a very short period of time. Is this normal?

Internal applicants always receive priority consideration or can apply for positions in the company before they are released to external applicants. This is one way Southwest prioritizes their people and allows for Career Mobility. It’s a saying to ‘get your foot in the door’ at Southwest. Maybe you want to be a flight attendant but they aren’t hiring now. Apply to be a CSA and get your foot in the door - by the time that position opens, you’ll be one of the first to apply and you’ll be more competitive than external applicants.

-Do CSA have unions or is it only pilots and Fa's?

Yep! CSAs have their own union. This union is separate from the pilots, flight attendants, and OPS/ramp/Provo union. (all of these unions are independent)

I know i will have more questions later 

Post them and we’ll try to answer them!

wanderlust8706
Explorer C

omg thanks for your insight! The most informative info I've gotten from anyone!

I have a couple more questions:

1. Is the turnover rate really high similar to any customer service position?

I currently work as a cashier at a grocery store and I'm so burned out. The turnover rate is insane where I work. 

It's very monotonous and you are stuck in the same spot for 8 hours a day doing the same thing... scanning groceries. It's boring! haha. 

I like a job with challenge and working as a cashier at a grocery store is not challenging to me. I feel like a robot. 

2. Are you stuck in the same spot for 8 hours doing the same thing every day?

I consider myself a people person and I'm use to dealing with entitled customers (my store is in a very affluent area and they are super needy and rude).

I'm just trying to figure out if it's like working in retail. 

thanks so much!

FlyWithLUV
Frequent Flyer C

@wanderlust8706 wrote:

omg thanks for your insight! The most informative info I've gotten from anyone!

I have a couple more questions:

1. Is the turnover rate really high similar to any customer service position?

I currently work as a cashier at a grocery store and I'm so burned out. The turnover rate is insane where I work. 

It's very monotonous and you are stuck in the same spot for 8 hours a day doing the same thing... scanning groceries. It's boring! haha. 

I like a job with challenge and working as a cashier at a grocery store is not challenging to me. I feel like a robot. 

You will definitely be challenged at Southwest, and I can almost guarantee you it is not like the grocery store cashier experience. Yes, you're dealing with people and there will be hard days, but the challenges are unique and the people are different. A lot of what defines the Southwest experience is the comradery, and you'll feel like you are part of a family. When challenges come, you get through them together with other people and everyone wants everybody to succeed. If you don't feel challenged - don't fret, too! There's so many opportunities to grow. Becoming a supervisor for customer service is within reach, so is Operations, Inflight - anything you want to do! You only get that when you work for an organization like Southwest that has everything.

There's a reason why some people have been customer service agents at Southwest for over 30 years. I know a Customer Service Agent who has started their position in their early 20s and are have been doing the same position (Customer Service Agent) for 40 or so years.

The turnover is really good and nothing like a grocery store. That doesn't mean it's 100% though. Some people do not make it through the probation period (during probation, there are restrictions on timeliness, absences, etc.) and some people do not know what they are getting into. It's good to have an understanding of the position and what it may entail (dealing with customers, long shifts/overtime). Southwest is deliberate in their hiring process, though, and they will do their best to hire the people who they think will be in it for the long run and have what it takes to succeed (especially a positive/fun-luving attitude, servant leadership, and warrior spirit). If you give it your all, Southwest will give you everything. The benefits are amazing. There are so many opportunities for growth, if that's what you're looking for, if not, that's fine, too!

2. Are you stuck in the same spot for 8 hours doing the same thing every day?

I consider myself a people person and I'm use to dealing with entitled customers (my store is in a very affluent area and they are super needy and rude).

I'm just trying to figure out if it's like working in retail. 

thanks so much!

By 'stuck in the same spot,' I assume you mean doing the same thing. The answer to that is yes, for the most part. As a CSA, you'll be working flights, clearing standbys, making announcements, checking strollers, etc. The people are not the same, though. Also, you get to bid for your shifts and where you want to work. You could end up at a gate one day or the ticket counter, or even the baggage office. The people you deal with are different. There is a sharp learning curve, but you'll have great trainers and mentors. The airline industry is quite a hard one to understand, so it is a lot more involved than ringing up groceries, for example. It's fun work! And, if you feel like you want a bigger challenge or change, you can apply for a supervisor position or move to another role entirely.

Hope this helps!