Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Ramp Agent Hours

Ab2687
Explorer A

Hi All!

I have been offered a ramp agent position. It will be a pay cut. I am weighing the pros and cons. 

What is scheduling like? Is flexibility really a thing when bidding? Is OT something that can be expected? Does anyone work a second job like say uber? 

What kind of hours are current agents working? Ill be working out of a small station. 

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Ramp Agent Hours

TPArampgirl
Frequent Flyer A

Schedules arent very flexible. We will be at the bottom of the senority list, so we get whatever is leftover unfortunately. At some stations, mandatory overtime is a certain reality. OT is almost always available. At my station, the operation is 24/7, so there are start times every hour or so. Right now, I'm on 0445-1315. After I come back from Dallas, I'm pretty sure I'll be moved to nights. I'm not sure when the next bid is, so that will be my schedule for who knows how long. I don't know of anyone that works a second job at my station, so I am no help there. The work is tough, but I think you'll be okay. 

Ab2687
Explorer A

Thank you! I actually am coming from the railroad so I am sure I will be ok lol. It will probably feel like a vacation but less toxic. 

I don’t mind the schedule just wondering if the OT may help with the pay-cut I would be taking. 

The recruiter said we bid monthly or evert other month based on seniority. I also was the lowest man at my last job. Are not all airports 24 hours? If that isn’t the case I feel like my location may not be 24 hours.

Misterrikan
Explorer C

I am also coming from the railroad and taking a pay cut….iv been wanting to come to southwest for years and I finally get my shot 💪🏼

Ab2687
Explorer A

which railroad and where will you be working? 

I was the only woman at my location so it was a strange situation lol…thought I could make it but decided there are better environments out there.

Misterrikan
Explorer C

Union Pacific in Joliet Illinois, I will be a ramp agent out of midway 

TNuts
Frequent Flyer C

Wow, lived in Joliet and worked at MDW myself. Was hired for the ramp last August after being retired for 11 years. Keep that head on a swivel and ask any questions you may have.  Also here is a link to start studying the 3 letter city codes.

https://www.studystack.com/flashcard-3508643

Welcome to the SWA team!!!!

Ab2687
Explorer A

I worked with NS in Charleston and was hired for ramp here also

Ab2687
Explorer A

Thank you! I actually am coming from the railroad so I am sure I will be ok lol. It will probably feel like a vacation but less toxic. 

I don’t mind the schedule just wondering if the OT may help with the pay-cut I would be taking. 

The recruiter said we bid monthly or evert other month based on seniority. I also was the lowest man at my last job. Are not all airports 24 hours? If that isn’t the case I feel like my location may not be 24 hours.

TPArampgirl
Frequent Flyer A

There are some airports that do have a last flight and shut down for the night. And the flight schedule will fluctuate with the season too, so that may not always be the case.