Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Ramp Agent Phoenix

Happygirl
Explorer C

Hello!!! 

I just accepted my start date for Phoenix Sky Harbor Ramp Agent! Very excited! However, it is over a month away, December 12. Does that ever get moved up? Can it get moved up?

Also, any other PHX Ramp Agents on here I can talk to? How bad is Christmas? Do they let people go after the holidays? How easy/hard is it to give away shifts at PHX? How many golf lights do PHX ramp agents work in an 8 hour shift? 

thanks in advance!!

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Ramp Agent Phoenix

TPArampgirl
Frequent Flyer A

Congrats! I’ve only ever heard of one persons start date being moved up with their permission. They’ll usually come to you if that’s an option, but it’s extremely rare because of all the scheduling involved. As for working in PHX, I am based in Tampa. Thanksgiving/Christmas/New Year travel is the busiest time at every airport. You can count on it being very busy during those times. Letting people go? Do you mean being fired or just going home? Fired, not unless its warranted. Just going home, it really depends on your station. It is fairly easy to give shifts away here at TPA. The weekends can be a challenge sometimes. As for how many flights we can work in a shift, it depends on a lot of things. The most I’ve done on a shift is 8 flights. And I will say I average about 4-5 per day. A lot of factors go into how much you’ll actually have to do. Depending on your position during flights, that can make all the difference. You’ll need to get into ‘ramp shape’ and when you are at that point, you’ll notice it gets easier with time. I have muscles everywhere now! It’s great! 😆 You’ll be starting in winter which is nice because you don’t have to worry about the heat. You can learn the job without having to worry about the summer sun. I grew up in PHX and lived there until about 3 years ago, so I know the pain of summer. 😂 I am rambling, but if you have any other questions, feel free to ask! I am happy to help. 

Happygirl
Explorer C

Thank you so much for all the great information! They just emailed me an earlier start date as someone else who originally accepted just changed their mind, so now I start November 14th! Feeling very fortunate about that.

I’ve been trying to work out more to prepare, but I know it’s going to be rough regardless, lol.

And does training starts at your station? 

Thank you!

TPArampgirl
Frequent Flyer A

Nice! That is very cool! 

Yes, training does start at your station. 

earmenta
Explorer C

I'm currently doing my pre-employment screening for a ramp position in Phx too!  What can you tell me about your hiring experience?!