Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Ramp agent pay

NasATL
Explorer A

Does anybody know what the pay raises are for new ramp agents & how often?

14 REPLIES 14

Re: Ramp agent pay

TPArampgirl
Frequent Flyer A

Its constantly changing (for the better) and it may vary based on station, but base rate is $17.00. You get raise at 6 months, and then raises are yearly. I'm not sure how much it will all total out to. They'll tell you during training. 

rachelhope
Explorer B

is the raise after 6 months for every position?

TPArampgirl
Frequent Flyer A

No. This is ramp only. CSA has their own union and rules.

Yocity2022
Adventurer B

Are you working 8 hour days? Or… are those long hours real?  Lol

TPArampgirl
Frequent Flyer A

Right now, I work 8 hours, 5 days a week. I give away a shift at least once a week (I love to sleep). The long hours can be optional. Some people choose to take the rest (or all) of another persons shift, and some sign up for OT. I have seen people get mandatory OT, and the most I've seen is 6 hours extended, and its usually only 1 or 2 people. I, personally, have not been extended or picked up shifts. Not all stations have the luxury of being fully staffed, so this is not always the case. As rampers, we go in everyday knowing that getting extended is always a possibility. 🙃 

Phxramp
Explorer C

I just received a job offer in Phoenix how long does it take to top out in pay at southwest because I will be taking a pay cut and giving up a full time job for part time position 

Cmoch79
Explorer A

It takes 11 years to reach the top of the pay scale and current contract rates are $32.06 /hr once you pass 11 years.   Remains the same until a new contract is negotiated usually every 5 years or so.  Rates will increase with each new contract so it's likely you'll hit that 32/hr in around 8 years or 9 years time and then from there to the new 11-year top out. 

Phxramp
Explorer C

Thanks that was very helpful is southwest a great place to work how long does it take to bid on jobs 

Cmoch79
Explorer A

It is!  But if you've never worked the ramp before it's going to take some getting use to.  Bidding is depending on the city.  We use to bid monthly for our schedules.  Job assignments are posted first thing in the morning and change depending on needs and staffing for the day.  You can always ask a coworker to switch job duties.  Just notify your supervisor who you switched with (it's better if you both approach a supervisor together honestly).  Some people prefer one job duty over the other.  it's not uncommon to have people approach you daily to switch duties.  You can also do what's called "buddy bidding" where 2 people agree to work for each other in a given month and have more days off per week.  There's plenty of options!