Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

School Flexibility

dmcourson
Explorer C

Hello!

I recently applied for a Ramp Agent position at Nashville International Airport. It has been a dream of mine to work for an airline, and one like Southwest would be the icing on the cake. I have a upcoming phone interview next week. My only concern is how flexible the company is with employees who are also full time students.

I understand that this is a full time position with mandatory overtime and that nights, weekends etc. are required. I am in school until 4 pm Monday thru Thursday and 11am on Fridays with wide open availibility on Saturday and Sunday.

Do you think because I am persuing higher education that this will determine my elgibility for the position?

Thank you.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: School Flexibility

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

While I don't have an answer for you, that sounds like a great question to ask at the end of the interview, if it's not addressed earlier. I'd suggest phrasing the question in a positive way that makes it clear you are super eager and interested. Focus on being very available on some days/times and you would do your best to coordinate the schedule for upcoming classes to work as best as possible with Southwest as you continue schooling. Don't phrase it in the negative and focus on what you can't do or won't do or in a way that implies Southwest has to be flexible. Good luck!

--TheMiddleSeat

Amrein
Explorer C

Hello,

Is there any chance to apply for a Part Time Ramp Agent position? I'm a full time student from Belmont University, so I will need to combine my job and academic projects (my supervisor is against my wish to work (neither part-time nor full-time)).

Patrick

dfwskier
Aviator A

Morning, Patrick.

Every airline is in financial difficulty as a result of the virus and people not flying. United yesterday announced that it might have to lay off up to 36,000 employees. SW has too many employees too ,and has offered voluntary retirement packages to it's workers. It has also implemented a hiring freeze.

As a result of the above,you probably won't be able to land a part time ramp position in the er future. Keep checking the careers website. If such a position opens, it'll appear there first.