Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Start Date Extension

nyysnoopy
Explorer C

Good morning SWA team! I received my tentative start date from my recruiter for ramp agent at DEN:

Congratulations!

Now that you have completed the Employment Screening process, we would like to confirm your start date as soon as possible.

Our next start date is March 28th 

Keeping in mind timing of notice to your current employer/Leader, vacations and/or any commitments you may have, please respond to this email within 48 hours.

Once we confirm a start date, you will receive more onboarding information.

My question is if I am able to postpone my start date until June 1? I am in the process of closing on a new home and selling mine in California and didn’t know the process for screening would only take a week! 

I am waiting for a response from my recruiter and haven’t been able to sleep all night. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. 

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Start Date Extension

About2be
Frequent Flyer B

Oh my!!! If you only need 3-4 days is there a way you get help with the non-SWA stuff? It looks like a lot of legal business only you could approve, but is there a way to get some stuff done virtually, through a mediator, or sign what you can and have it notorized?

But I tots get how time sensitive that can all be. When we closed on the house they sent someone to the maternity ward with the paperwork. Poor guy had to suit up in gown, slippers, and puffy hat, use my "about to <not> be" pregnant twin belly as a desk to get all the signatures. ¿Really? We had a lot of stuff going on all at once #mylife.

If the onboarding process is all paperwork, waiting for approval, virtual lessons, and such, that might give you enough time to tie up house. If you need to be in a physical training area away from your location, maybe real estate agents can help reach you after training hours??¿¿ Maybe you could catch a flight back and they can meet you at the airport to sign 🤪. You'd look so fancy, flying in then out to sign papers. 🧐🛫📝🛩

I wish you tons of luck 🤞!! 

About2be
Frequent Flyer B

Also read or reach out to : Av8orCree and TPArampgirl posters. Both are new hires and very honest, accurate, and reliable posters. Before and after they were hired for ramp, they keep all of us updated on their on going process, even with being busy as new hires and training. 

TPArampgirl
Frequent Flyer A

You know, this situation happened to me! I actually got the emails for my start date and tried to postpone it. I had noticed some people got options for dates, and I didn't. I mentioned I had a trip already planned, and that I wanted to extend my start date to a later time. My recruiter said that it wasn't possible at this time. Thankfully, everything is refundable. All you can really do is ask and wait for a response. It took about 2 days for my recruiter to get back to me. 

nyysnoopy
Explorer C

Still haven't heard back from my recruiter since I sent back my response on March 1st. Should I be worried and reach out again or wait?

Going2Be
Explorer C

Reach back out. I sent a follow-up email this morning and received a response this afternoon. I was in the same situation sent my email on the 1st, and hadn't received a response. 

TPArampgirl
Frequent Flyer A

Definitely reach back out!

nyysnoopy
Explorer C

Looks like I’ll be starting April 25 in DEN. So excited and so grateful!!

OfficialSS
Adventurer C

God is good! I’m waiting for my start date for Denver ramp. 

Balistreri
Explorer C

Request the time you need to settle down in your new city or state. Many employers know that relocating takes time and have no problem being flexible. However, if your new employer indicates that they'd like you to start right away.