Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

State ID

OutreBun
Explorer C

So, I have an expired state ID, and I've been worried that due to the fact that everywhere I read it says that I would have to get a real id. It would take 15 business days to get here but sadly my flight is going to be here before that timespan. 
Can I get on the plane with a my ID (I've been also reading that expired ids have been extended to August 1st, so fingers crossed!) or will I need to bring extra forms of identification?

2 REPLIES 2

Re: State ID

dfwskier
Aviator A

It seems that a state issued photo ID would work. Here are the rest:

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/identification

Re: State ID

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@OutreBun wrote:

So, I have an expired state ID, and I've been worried that due to the fact that everywhere I read it says that I would have to get a real id. It would take 15 business days to get here but sadly my flight is going to be here before that timespan. 
Can I get on the plane with a my ID (I've been also reading that expired ids have been extended to August 1st, so fingers crossed!) or will I need to bring extra forms of identification?

Real ID doesn’t start until later but the issue that your ID is expired you should bring some extra backup materials. It’s possible TSA sends you right through, but it’s also possible you may need to interview for clearance so I’d allow some extra time for arrival at the airport.

Passport will also work if you have one.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.