Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Timing to apply for Destination 225° University Pathway

BrianSanders
Explorer C

Hi, what's the earliest that a freshman accepted into a partner university's BS Aviation program can apply to be a part of 225? What benefit is being in the 225 program to a student while they are still in school? 

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Timing to apply for Destination 225° University Pathway

TPArampgirl
Frequent Flyer A

https://careers.southwestair.com/D225University 

Here is the link for Destination 225° Uni. It has the answers to your questions and more.  😊 

BrianSanders
Explorer C

I have read that page a couple of times and cannot find these two answers there.

TPArampgirl
Frequent Flyer A

adrienneb
Employee
Employee

Hi there, Brian!

We're excited to hear you're interested in Destination 225! We welcome applicants to the Destination 225 University pathway as you complete your freshman year or after receiving your Private Pilot License.

Participants in Destination 225 have a clear path to becoming a Southwest First Officer, as well as receiving other benefits of the program. This includes mentorship by a current Southwest First Officer and additional lessons from Southwest on what we expect from a Southwest Pilot.

We hope this helps - best of luck!

BrianSanders
Explorer C

Thanks for that added tidbit. It sounds like SWA HR gets a good, long look at pilot candidates this way. That's great for the airline but what's the bait? It's a lifelong dream to fly for you but these web pages leave a lot to the imagination. 

Do pilot candidates get an inside track on eventual hiring? I want to know what I can brag to Mom about if accepted! 🙂 Like a lot of youngsters, I can already talk to two SWA pilots for mentoring so there has to be more to it that I'm not understanding.

For example, are participants obligated to work for SWA afterwards (after 4yrs+1yr at uni plus some years at the regionals) if hired? 

adrienneb
Employee
Employee

Great question! There is no obligation by either Southwest or the Destination 225 participants, but building that relationship early on can be a big benefit should participants with to join the Southwest Family down the line. 

BrianSanders
Explorer C

I'm ready to Accept as Solution. I want to recommend that this all be clarified more on your website so that the program benefits and content are not so shrouded in mystery. High schoolers are ready to answer your call to action, but they and parents need a little more information, if not assurances, before committing to such a direction. Thank you.