Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Training Schedule Confusion

MsPrez
Explorer B

I’ve been doing training for almost a month as a Ramp Agent. I’m a little confused, because the leaders do create the training schedule for us but they don’t really ask for our availability? I’m a college student so it’s not like i’m fully available for them to just schedule me randomly anymore. I’ve emailed them about it, and they basically told me that they can’t really change a training schedule and that i would have to wait to sign off in order to change schedule, which I felt like is unfair because nobody cared to ask what my availability was or at least let us choose training schedules that would fit best for us? Does anyone know if what they are saying is true or not? 

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Training Schedule Confusion

Talal1991
Adventurer C

So you’ve been working for a month already? I think they tell you this during the interview that open availability is required. That’s what I was told and that any personal accommodation would be based of the seniority list of that station I’ll be working at.

MsPrez
Explorer B

Yea I started in July when school wasn’t in session which is why it never was an issue at first. I was never told that while we were in training we had to go by what would they schedule me, and that they wouldn’t be able to adjust since we don’t get to bid schedules. They basically said that since i’m still in training I have no say so & that I have to choose between school or work.. pretty sad situation right now. 

SHaRK72
Adventurer C

I would love to say that Southwest is understanding of those who are in college or may need to have a schedule accommodation during training, but it seems from hearing from current and former employees, they are not. If they start allowing accommodations during training, it might prove a little difficult to schedule the training. Do I think they could allow some leniency? Yes..  It's been said that perfect attendance is mandatory and if you miss for any reason, you're out. How much longer do you have in training?

TPArampgirl
Frequent Flyer A

Southwest requires that you are available at all times, and that the job takes priority over whatever other activities you may be involved in. It seems that the trend is once you are certified, you’ll probably go to evenings/nights. Once you are certified though, you are able to trade and giveaway hours. Good luck with your situation. I would suggest you try to ride it out as long as possible.