Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Training Schedule for Ramp Agent

Blondie881
Explorer C

Hello ,

I know every airport is different but does anybody have insight on what a typical Training schedule would be if your starting as a Ramp agent?? Is it early in the morning, mid-day etc…And do newbies usually get the afternoon or late night schedules when it’s time to pick your set schedule??

TIA

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Training Schedule for Ramp Agent

TPArampgirl
Frequent Flyer A

Training schedules are usually the schedule of your trainer. It is almost random. Some of us got a 5am start time, some had 3 am, 12pm, or 2 pm. When we were certified, there was no option. They will place you where they need/want you. The majority of us went to the 5pm-2am shift. You really have to have an open schedule to work on the ramp. I am going to hit the 6-month mark soon and I got lucky and will be working 0830-1700 next month. I have worked all shifts during my 6 months. I really do want to emphasize FLEXIBILITY. It is important. 

I hope this helps, and isn’t discouraging. Once you get some time under your belt, the schedules will start to level out. Good luck!

TNuts
Frequent Flyer C

What TPArampgirl said is true. I have been at SWA for over a year now. I am at smaller station and my training was in the morning from 0430-1300. I had the same days off as my trainer. Once I was released by my trainer I filled in any open shift until the new bid. When that line bid was over, we had a new one month bid and I was on closing shift for 6-7 months since I was the lowest in seniority. Now with a bunch of new hires below me now, I am on mornings and LUVING it. Good luck and if you have any more questions please be sure to ask. 

Blondie881
Explorer C

Thank you! 🙂

Blondie881
Explorer C

Thank you for responding! This helps a lot !