Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Vision

KMT405
Explorer C

I so badly wanted to become a pilot but recently found out I am color blind and now I want to try to go towards a flight attendant but I’m unsure the vision requirements for that. My color blindness isn’t bad I see color fine it is just my red and green I sometimes see it lighter or darker than normal people. If someone could please shed some light on this for me please that would be wonderful! Many thanks,

Kayleb

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Vision

dfwskier
Aviator A

I'm afraid that no airline will be hiring flight attendants anytime soon due to the virus.

I'd suggest that you hold the question until that situation changes. 

KMT405
Explorer C

That is OK and thanks for telling me! But I don't plan on applying any time soon. I was just curious as this is my dream to be apart of the Southwest team!!

dfwskier
Aviator A

@KMT405 wrote:

That is OK and thanks for telling me! But I don't plan on applying any time soon. I was just curious as this is my dream to be apart of the Southwest team!!

I suspect that that SW's requirements would mimic those of the FAA requirements for a commercial pilot's license. Those requirement indicate that some types of color blindness do

and other types do not preclude a person from getting/keeping a commercial license.

https://news.eyeque.com/2018/09/12/vision-requirements-for-pilots/

My personal view is that the ability to ascertain both red and green would be a requirement.

Planes have green lights at the end of their right wings and red lights on the left wings. When you are flying at night and a plane appears in front of you , you can easily determine whether the plane is flying towards or away from you. If the red light is right of the green one, then the plane is flying towards you. If the green light is right of the red one, then the plane is flying away from you. So the inability to ascertain red and green would make it impossible to determine the direction of any plane that might happen to appear in front of your aircraft.

Of course that is my personal opinion.

Passenger1C
Aviator C

@KMT405  don’t give up on your desire to be a pilot. Being colorblind does not mean you are exempt from being a pilot.  Depending on how severe your colorblindness is, you still might have an opportunity. 

SWA Passenger, Community Champion

jksobonya
Aviator A
Solution

This is a great question, I personally don't know what the restrictions are for color-blindness but you might want to contact Southwest (there are links at the bottom of the page) and ask them. I am sure they can provide an answer for you. Good luck!

--Jessica