Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Who select who gets hired.

Shondabbrown
Adventurer C

Does the recruiter and manager selects who get hired for the position or does the headquarters in Dallas choose the final candidate? I was asking just to see the hiring process from start to finish how it's completed.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Who select who gets hired.

SWDigits
Aviator A

I've never applied to work for Southwest but my personal experience (as both the person getting hired and the person doing the hiring), is that it was the hiring manager's call.

Customer | Home airport DCA

Passenger1C
Aviator C

Generally large companies empower their recruiters to make the decision on employment. After all, they are the subject matter experts who spent the most time with you.

Professional roles is the only exception to this. After a few rounds of interviews, usually the hiring manager makes the final decision on who to extend the offer to. 

SWA Passenger, Community Champion

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

@Passenger1C wrote:

Generally large companies empower their recruiters to make the decision on employment. After all, they are the subject matter experts who spent the most time with you.

Sorry, but I have to disagree with that one.

I worked in HR for a Fortune 50 company for over 25 years. At least at that company

1) Recruiters made a first pass cut at who was or was not qualfied

2) Recruiters in conjunction with hiring managers decided who to invite for an interview

3) Hiring Managers always made the call about who to hire

4) Recruiters put together a salary proposal and got hiring manager buy in to it

5) Recruiters sent out the offer letter

Having the recruiter make the call is dangerous. Why? Well, what happens if the recruiter

makes an offer to someone that the hiring manager doesn't want.

Having hiring managers buy into virtually the whole process is important. We always let the manager make the hiring decision. If we thought the manager was making a mistake, then we discussed the situation with the manager.

Passenger1C
Aviator C

I have only worked for a few companies over my career journey, but the structure has always been similar. All have been large corporations that have many levels to the organization. Due to the amount of applicants we receive, it would be impossible for the hiring manager(s) to interview / buy off on everyone. When we have an applicant for a professional role, the hiring manager is more involved.  When I was a Recruiting Manager my role was to support the recruiters, handle any concerns that an applicant might bring up, and make sure we were following wage and hour laws. Rarely did I ever interview hourly applicants (which is a large percentage of our workforce) or buy off on the hiring. 

My company does not have the recruiters as part of the compensation package.. We have a separate department that only handles salary. They are too busy conducting interviews. 

The recruiters at my company are all HR professionals who are a trusted representative of our brand. 

Im sure the structure you referred to does take place with smaller businesses, but I’m sure SWA and the amount of applicants they receive, follow somewhat of the same flow as I described. 

SWA Passenger, Community Champion

Shondabbrown
Adventurer C

Thank you for the information , it was very resourceful I just needed closure, I just thought things really went well with the recruiter and I'm assuming the hiring manager. There was only one position and four candidates I did make the cut for the face to face , but maybe I didn't make an impression and someone else had a little edge on me but the interview was very positive, I will try again to take this flight who knows where I will land. 😊💛💙♥️