Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Wondering

Yocity2022
Adventurer B

GM everyone!  I’m going back and forth about quitting my part time job before my start date, which is in August.  I’m reading about the different shift changes and possible OT hours and do not want the part time to interfere.  I know each airport run airlines different due to the size, hours, etc.  I will be working out of BWI which stays busy.  Any thoughts?

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Wondering

TPArampgirl
Frequent Flyer A

Being a new hire, I've already had 5 different schedules. 

1. 0730-1600. Sat/Sun off (assigned)

2. 0530-1400. Tue/Wed off (assigned)

3. 1730-0200. Wed/Thu off (assigned)

4. 1730-0200. Thu/Fri off (bid)

5. 1330-2200. Fri/Sat off (bid/current)

I've been working since the beginning of April, so you can see how it might've been hard to have a PT job. It is not the same at every station tho. There are other rampers out there that haven't had as many schedule changes. It varies based on station. If you need the PT, I would wait a little bit before quitting and see how it goes. 

Yocity2022
Adventurer B

Geeesh!  But I like the variety of the shifts.  My current full time is 10 hr shifts, so I would love the 8 hour shift.  If I would be able to pick up potential OT I would let the part time go, I’m actually kind of over it at this point.  Lol. Oh, maybe you can answer this question.  What does the op agent do all day?  Lol… tryna get an idea.  Thanks!

TPArampgirl
Frequent Flyer A

They are the ones that work at the gate during boarding. They scan boarding passes, communicate with the flight crew, figure out the weight and balance. They do so much more than that though! There is a lot of standing involved, and I recommend comfortable shoes. There is usually OT for us rampers, and I'm sure it's available in the other departments too. It'll be a minute before you can grab OT. After you are fully certified and signed off, you take whatever OT you want. There are always people who want to give away their shifts, so you can always grab extra hours that way too. 

Maybe another OPS Agent can chime in here?