Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

$1,300 in additional travel costs due to SWA computer problems

eldredgebob
Explorer C

BAD BAD SOUTHWEST!!! After canceling flights 2 days in a row (due to their (SWA) computer system failing back in mid-June - NOT weather related) and keeping our luggage, traveling with my wife and son, we incurred $1,300 in additional travel costs (like hotel rooms, food, clothes (sorry not wearing same cloths for 3 days), toiletries and such). Then instead of the scheduled 2 flight 9 hour trip from OAK to MHT, they booked on 4 flights with a 15 hour travel day - worst travel day of my life!! Finally heard back from them - best they can do is give myself a $200 travel voucher, and my wife and son each got a $250 travel voucher (good for 1 year). Unsure why I only got $200 - maybe because I complained. Absolutely NOTHING for our additional travel $$$ costs ($1,300) due to their computer problems (which they have 100% control of). Claim "we do not provide specific “compensation” for lost time or interim expenses." FYI - other flights were departing OAK morning of June 15 - while ours was canceled. I've been flying SWA for 20+ years and with this treatment - time to fly with someone else - glad more airlines are coming to MHT.

1 REPLY 1

Re: $1,300 in additional travel costs due to SWA computer problems

jksobonya
Aviator A

You're kidding - right?

Mid-June was when the entire airline industry was hit with inclement weather across the country and Southwest, American, United, Delta, others had that to deal with plus a few technical issues on top of it. In fact, on June 15 Southwest was under a ground stop due to the technological issues they encountered, and various issues stemming from it went on for days. Thread here: https://community.southwest.com/t5/Check-In-Boarding/Southwest-in-process-of-resuming-normal-operati... 

I'm sorry you had issues with your flights, but mid-June was a bad time of the month for many fliers due to situations that were quite literally out of Southwest's control - regardless if you think otherwise. 

Also - if you have truly flown for 20+ years, I would think you would have a little more empathy when situations arise that cause cancellations, especially in this particular  circumstance. 

Also also - you got a $200 voucher and your wife/son got $250 vouchers - that equals $700 in vouchers. And you want *more* compensation? Be thankful you got what you did! Some people want the world ... 

--Jessica