Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

$190 ROUND TRIP for PET TRAVEL - RIDICULOUS PRICE

parkerb
Explorer C

$190 round trip to travel with my 20lb emotional support dog is insane and is taking advantage of people who have a condition like myself. I now have to pay $95 ONE WAY to have my dog stored in a bag and under the seat in front of me? That is the price of most flights! I have been a very loyal customer for many many years now and this is what they do to us? Rip us off for $190?? This is taking advantage of your customers and charging much much more than you ever should. THE DOG WILL BE IN A BAG AND UNDER THE SEAT.. HOW IS THAT $190?!?!?!?!?!

7 REPLIES 7

Re: $190 ROUND TRIP for PET TRAVEL - RIDICULOUS PRICE

YeahNoMaybe
Adventurer A

If it makes you feel any better, American, Delta and United all charge $250 round trip for a pet in the cabin on domestic flights.

dfwskier
Aviator A

If you can get your dog certified as a "service animal," you will not need to pay for your dog.

Sorry but you are paying the price for all those people who figured out that they could fly their pets for free by declaring them to be ESAs  -- even if the pets were not really ESAs.

There were lots of complaints about the large number of people that were gaming the system. . In response, the Department f Transportation told the airlines that they no longer had to fly ESAs.

At this point I believe that every domestic airline has banned ESAs

Btea
Explorer B

When will they ban people that smell and make noise ?

jksobonya
Aviator A

@parkerb wrote:

I now have to pay $95 ONE WAY to have my dog stored in a bag and under the seat in front of me? That is the price of most flights! 

Ha, I'd love to fly where you do if the flights are only $95 😂 Flights are much more expensive out of Philly, for the most part. 

--Jessica

bec102896
Aviator A

@jksobonya wrote:

Ha, I'd love to fly where you do if the flights are only $95 😂 Flights are much more expensive out of Philly, for the most part. 

--Jessica

If it makes you feel better I just booked flights from AUS for $29 each way $49 each way and $68 each way all in the last month. One Round trip I took to DAL yesterday was $53 yes round trip 

Maybe prices will go down for you once flights start resuming to pre covid levels up there. 

Now back on topic with the pet fee sorry your disappointed your best bet is to Contact Customer Relations to express your displeasure with the fee so they can document it but as others have stated other airlines charge $100-$125 each way so at least your saving a little bit with Southwest as of now. 

-Blake

Btea
Explorer B

I agree that the pet policy is very discriminating to dog owners. My dog has travelled for years under the seat, but with the price of seats, it seems only fair that he have his own seat so my legs won't be crowded. He is also an ESA . He is so quiet, no one knows he is there unlike the big mouths that like to talk loudly the entire flight, or the kids that play their noisy video games. The last flight the the FA wasn't paying attention and let my husband sit in an emergency exit with the dog bag. They just stood in the back socializing and didn't even pay attention. You would think that with the extra charge, they at least be aware and show some service.

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee

@Btea We're sincerely sorry for your disappointment with the cost to travel with your dog. As a Customer-to-Customer support forum, we are not equipped to assist you here, but I encourage you to Contact Customer Relations for assistance, especially if you noticed any inconsistencies with our enforcement of the policy.

Thank you,

Nicole
Community Manager