Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

2 Year Old No Mask

carolinedavis4
Explorer C

So I have a trip coming up.. my 2 year old will be coming along with me. He is just a few months past his 2nd birthday. I know guidelines says 2 and up but I'm curious of others experiences with their 2 year old not wearing a mask flying with southwest. Were they understanding if they can't wear a mask. 

I've attempted many times to put a mask on him and he's just too young to understand, and refuses to keep it on.

So, has anyone flown with a 2 year old and they didn't wear a mask? did you encounter problems? Were people understanding being they just turn 2? 

thank you in advance!!

15 REPLIES 15

Re: 2 Year Old No Mask

elijahbrantley
Aviator A
Solution

While we do have kids, I do not have this specific experience based on their ages. But I do understand the challenge that comes with the age of two and keeping a mask on.

That said, I did want to note that regardless of the experience of others, you risk being removed from the flight if you choose to fly and your child can't keep the mask on. It's unfortunate, but it is the reality, especially since not only is the SW's policy, but it is also federal policy.

See more about SW's policy here; this is built around the federal policy. It is worth noting that exceptions are only allowed for disabilities. You can read more about that at this same link.

If you have serious concerns about the ability to wear a mask, you might choose to delay air travel at this time. 

-A List, Companion Pass holder

carolinedavis4
Explorer C

looking for personal experiences, not policies linked... I cant read the policies on the website. thanks though!

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Masks for all passengers 2 years old and older is a federal requirement and not up to Southwest to be "understanding". I understand it's not ideal, but it is required.

--TheMiddleSeat

carolinedavis4
Explorer C

looking for personal experiences, not policies linked... I cant read the policies on the website. thanks though!

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

You're asking if Southwest will not follow government regulations. You don't see a problem with that?

--TheMiddleSeat

Courtney123
Explorer C

The Federal Mask mandate has made it a CRIME for a 2 year old to not wear a mask on a flight. Your toddler could be arrested and thrown in jail with hardcore criminals if he can't keep his mask on. Don't chance it.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@Courtney123 wrote:

The Federal Mask mandate has made it a CRIME for a 2 year old to not wear a mask on a flight. Your toddler could be arrested and thrown in jail with hardcore criminals if he can't keep his mask on. Don't chance it.

While this, obviously, isn't actually happening, there are frequent reports of people being removed from flights for non-mask compliance, including families with young children. You also risk being banned by the airline. If you have concerns about your 2+ age child being able to wear a mask onboard, I'd recommend you delay air travel at this time.

Danel530
Explorer C

That is a completely uninformed comment

GirlDad
Explorer C

I have a two year old and it’s very very challenging. It’s nearly impossible to make a two year old wear one for the flight. Your best bet is to tell them if asked during flight that your child is not quite two yet. Making it a crime for a two year to not wear a mask I think highlights the level of lunacy we’ve come to in this country. Good luck, lots of special people in the comments on this thread.