Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

2 separate Travel Funds

ocgirl
Explorer C

I have 2 different travel funds that total $150 and will expire in a few months for one person.  This person is for "Lauren".  Lauren is already a companion on my companion pass, so there is no reason to use it, but then it will just go to waste.  I understand there is a $100 charge if I let it expire and then ask for it as a voucher if it were on one travel fund, but what is $80 is one voucher and $70 is on another?  Will Southwest allow to combine them and give me a voucher for $50? 

2 REPLIES 2

Re: 2 separate Travel Funds

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

Based on what I’ve read here in other posts the fee to reinstate expired travel funds (if you are even allowed to do it) would be $100 per fund.  So, you would be better off booking a flight that required the use of the two funds, then immediately cancel the newly booked flight, that should combine the funds into one fund with the expiration date of the fund expiring the soonest. The problem is you have to find a flight that is exactly $150 or add additional money which gets locked into an expiring travel fund or let some of the funds expire and go to waste, all this hassle so you can pay the fee and be left with approx $50 to use within 6 months.  If you have a few months before the funds expire I would suggest you use up what you can, paying taxes for any companion flights you can take before the funds expire, then let it go.  Another option would be to change your companion to someone else you want to accompany you and “Lauren” on a trip (kid, friend, etc), then have “Lauren” book her flight with the travel funds, add the new companion, and then the three of you can travel for the price of one.  When you’re done with that trip change your companion back to “Lauren”.

--TheMiddleSeat

Did this or any other comment in the thread answer your question? Please take a moment and click the "Accept as Solution" button on the comments you found most helpful, this will be a big help to any future Community Members who have a similar question!

Re: 2 separate Travel Funds

ocgirl
Explorer C

Thanks so much!