Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

2 year olds and masks

Erbear87
Explorer C

Hello! My daughter just turned two but I’m afraid she wear a mask 5 mins or less and not be able to wear the entire flight. So I guess we be driving to our destinations and airlines lose money with families with small children. Wondering if two year olds can get exceptions from doctors if they not emotional capable to wear a mask for a period of time...every kid different. 

1 REPLY 1

Re: 2 year olds and masks

chgoflyer
Aviator A
Solution

@Erbear87 wrote:

Hello! My daughter just turned two but I’m afraid she wear a mask 5 mins or less and not be able to wear the entire flight. So I guess we be driving to our destinations and airlines lose money with families with small children. Wondering if two year olds can get exceptions from doctors if they not emotional capable to wear a mask for a period of time...every kid different. 

If your child has a disability that affects her ability to wear a mask you can check with the carrier regarding their policy for applying for an exception. Note that while all carriers enforce the federal rule requiring masks for those 2+, they also each have their own individual policies regarding exceptions, and Southwest has yet to publish theirs. That information will be available soon: March 21 will be the first day Southwest passengers can request such an exemption.