Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

737 Max

Yojojo
Explorer C

I am a little a little foggy of the verbiage on the 737 Max update page. So, I wanted to clarify before I book. If the 737 Max is recertified between now and January, will Southwest put in back into service? Or will Southwest definitely keep it out of service until January even if the FAA recertifies it? Currently the flight I am looking at says 737-800 but I am concerned that they might substitute the Max after I book.

Thanks!

9 REPLIES 9

Re: 737 Max

SWDigits
Aviator A

I don't know if there is an official policy with more detail but here is a quote about the Southwest plan, "A spokesperson said that if a passenger does not want to fly the 737 Max, “we will offer them full flexibility.'"

Source:

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2019/09/05/737-max-boeing-united-airlines-flights-passengers-rebook/

Customer | Home airport DCA

dfwskier
Aviator A

I suppose the airline will start flying  "flyable" planes as soon as it can. 

You drive your car after it comes back from the garage, too.

Guardian40
Explorer C

Will never fly on one these.  Boeing have proven in recent weeks that they knew and hid the information that this plane is dangerous.  New CEO is a beginning, but the entire board of directors needs to resign.  They were all culpable in this disaster.   The configuration of the engines on the wings, the change in height off the ground and myriad of other factors lead me to believe this will never see the air again.  My opinion only, but nosediving from 30K feet is not what this thing is supposed to do, software or not

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Guardian40 wrote:

Will never fly on one these.

That is certainly your prerogative. Remember though, American and United will be big users of the plane too, and ALL airlines switch equipment at the last minute, in this case from MAX to nonMAX, and vice versa.

bec102896
Aviator A

My guess is as soon as the planes are air worthy again (after pilot training and fixes complete) the airline will use the max planes to cover flights during irregular operations but i don't think they will add flights back to the schedule except maybe for big events as they have done in the past (ex. super bowl) 

-Blake 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Yojojo wrote:

Currently the flight I am looking at says 737-800 but I am concerned that they might substitute the Max after I book.

Worried that it may happen, or did you have some reason to think that a substitution was likely? As previously mentioned in an earlier response the airline has said that people who don't want to fly on a Max that end up scheduled for one, would be accommodated, on the odd chance. 

However if for some other reason you believe that your route is a strong Max candidate, then you could plan a different connecting flight or at least make sure if you did have to switch that there would be other options available.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

NeverLift
Explorer C

Southwest:  Take the 737 Max out of service.  Permanently.  No matter what "fix" Boeing releases, this retired software engineer, developer -- my own software house for 30 years -- will never set foot on it again. 

chgoflyer
Aviator A

As I mentioned over in this thread, it's unrealistic to expect to continue to travel via air in the future and not fly on a MAX aircraft. MAX is the fastest-selling aircraft in history. Every single plane that Southwest has currently on order is a MAX. And, unless there's another similar catastrophic event soon (god forbid), that isn't going to change. The economics of the air travel industry simply won't allow it.

Personally, I'm concerned about flying on MAX again as well. For me it will take  changes to software, hardware (angle of attack sensors, notification systems) and training (ideally including simulator) before I'm comfortable on a MAX again. hopefully we will know more soon about what the FAA will require, and what Southwest's plans will be moving forward.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@NeverLift wrote:

Southwest:  Take the 737 Max out of service.  Permanently.  No matter what "fix" Boeing releases, this retired software engineer, developer -- my own software house for 30 years -- will never set foot on it again. 

By the time that MAXs return to service, they will likely be the most studied, evauated, scrutinized, and tested  aircraft in  history -- and likely the safest plane in the air.

But the choice is yours.

What do you propose as an alternative?   The airbus' competing product is sold out to the 2023-2024 time period and there is no one else in the market space. 

edit add: if you never want to fly a MAX, then you'll have to avoid carriers such as American, United, Southwest, Air Canada and others- all will have extensive MAX fleets.

That leaves you with Allegant, Frontier, Spirit, and Delta.

Happy flying.