Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

A-List standby with checked bags

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

One of the great benefits of being A-List is the ability to fly standby on an earlier flight for no additional charge. This works great and is easy when I'm traveling with just a carry-on bag. Now I find myself visiting family and transporting some gravy (no joke) so TSA says "no way" to my carry-on plan. 

Can anyone speak from experience how standby works with checked luggage? Will bag go ahead earlier even if I don't? Any possibility bag goes on originally ticketed flight while I depart earlier?

Thanks everyone, safe travels and happy Thanksgiving! 

7 REPLIES 7

Re: A-List standby with checked bags

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

If you can freeze the gravy the wording is such that solids would be okay, if you can keep it frozen until you are through the TSA line.

This sounds like a critical item! But maybe you can freeze it, pour off any accumlated liquid right before screening, and go for it?

It's not desirable for you to fly separately from your luggage, but I suppose if someone forgot to ask you if you had any checked bags when you requested standby status or if you forgot all about the gravy, the luggage would arrive as previously scheduled while you arrived early.

If I'm misreading the question and you are asking about your luggage changing schedule - I think the only way for this to work would be if the ticket agent checking the luggage agreed to make the standby change - maybe the earlier flight is empty and they see you are a frequent flyer...? Otherwise the language for the perk was to request standby at the gates, and you'd be stuck by then.

Maybe if you have GK's cell phone number?

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

gsking
Aviator C

Resurrecting a dead topic with no answer...

Any idea how likely a checked bag is going to stay with my earlier standby flight?  It seems unlikely, especially on a nearly full flight where the seat is only released in the last 15 minutes.

Sometimes I have luggage that has to be checked, and even if I could carry it, it's nice to be able to go standby without delaying the flight trying to stash ANOTHER carryon.

Gonna try to move up a flight tonight...

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee

Hey @gsking! If I'm understanding correctly, a bag checked at the ticket counter will travel on your original itinerary, unless you are cleared for standby and have your bag with you and it gets checked during boarding. In that case, you can pick it up at the carousel upon arrival. Otherwise your checked luggage will travel on the originally scheduled flight. Hope that helps!

Nicole
Community Manager

gsking
Aviator C

Nicole, thanks.  As I suspected.  I didn't make the earlier flight, and wasn't even early for my scheduled flight.  But I'm here.🙂

IMG_20191025_182435321_HDR.jpg

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee

Next time! It's always a pleasure having you onboard, @gsking

Nicole
Community Manager

puckstopper55
Explorer B

Their new policy is actually very assinine. If you check a bag you cannot modify your reservation over the phone which comes in handy if your flight gets canceled and there is a mad rush to the counter. The new system will not allow anyone other than an airport agent to modofy your reservation. If you check a bag and try to go on a different flight, for whatever reason, you have to insist that its ok to seperate you from your bag. Most agents dont even tell you this is an option, and some even say they are not allowed to seperate you from your bag (which is incorrect). The new policy almost penalizes you for checking a bag, and in some situations it greatly diminishes your ability to change itinary should it be needed. For example:

You show up to the airport, check your bag and head to the gate. Your flight gets delayed, and delayed to the point a different flight that isnt delayed will get you to the same destination sooner. Option 1) You can wait on the long line at the counter and beg to be seperated from your bag to get on that flight. Option 2) go back out through security in hopes the line out there is shorter than the single agent at your gate.

Being A-List preffered, doesnt even matter in this situation... even if I call the phone number and speak to someone right away, they tell you they cant do anything for you and you have to see someone at the airport. 

I cant count the amount of times I have heard them "request" more bags to be checked due to lack of bin space. I get it! Giving them your bag limits your options! 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@gsking wrote:

Nicole, thanks.  As I suspected.  I didn't make the earlier flight, and wasn't even early for my scheduled flight.  But I'm here.🙂

IMG_20191025_182435321_HDR.jpg

Just this past week I was able to finish up a project early and head home at a decent time instead of the late flight I had previously booked.

When I went to the ticket counter and asked about same day standby the agent must have had some idea that i may make it, and booked my luggage on the earlier flight even though I had to go to the gate to be cleared for my boarding pass. 

I'm not sure what the parameters are exactly for checking bags into the later flight knowing you would request an earlier standby flight, or when they go ahead and check luggage on the earlier one even if the ticket counter agent can't confirm you right then.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.