Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

A few questions about flying Southwest airlines

zaerth
Explorer C

I'm going on a one way trip at the end of the month alone and this will also be my first time flying anywhere so I'm a tiny bit scared. I'm also going to have to switch planes once at las Vegas as well and that too worries me a little. So my questions are

1)I've read online that they allow 2free checked bags, one free carry on and a small bag. For the small bag can I bring a normal sized jansport backpack or would that have to be my carry on?

2)when I arrive at las Vegas to switch planes, will my bags be switched for me or will I have to go get them and check them in again or how will all that happen?

3)I chose to pay the extra $12 for the early bird check in to I guess pick my seat first. How early do I have to be there for that?

4) what are the things I can and cannot bring with me on a flight?I don't wanna waste and hour or so getting everything thoroughly searched by the TSA and miss my flight

Any other advice for a first time flyer is greatly appreciated.

1 REPLY 1

Re: A few questions about flying Southwest airlines

dfwskier
Aviator A

Hello and welcome back to the skies.

@zaerth wrote:

I'm going on a one way trip at the end of the month alone and this will also be my first time flying anywhere so I'm a tiny bit scared. I'm also going to have to switch planes once at las Vegas as well and that too worries me a little. So my questions are

1)I've read online that they allow 2free checked bags, one free carry on and a small bag. For the small bag can I bring a normal sized jansport backpack or would that have to be my carry on?

You are entitled to 2 free checked bags not exceeding  62 inches H+W+L and not exceeding 50 pounds. You are also allowed a carry on no bigger than 10" x 16" x 24",

and a personal item that fits under the seat in front of you.

2)when I arrive at las Vegas to switch planes, will my bags be switched for me or will I have to go get them and check them in again or how will all that happen?

Your bags will be checked thru to your final destination. No you won't need to pick them up in Las Vegas.

3)I chose to pay the extra $12 for the early bird check in to I guess pick my seat first. How early do I have to be there for that?

You don't reserve seats at Southwest. It is open seating so you can pick any unoccupied seat upon getting on board. Early bird reserves your boarding position, and gives you a better one than not having Early Bird would. Early bird boarding positions are assigned in order of EB purchase. So the sooner you buy it, the better your boarding position will be. SW boards in groups: A1-30,  A31-60 and the same for B and C groups. Just get in line at the gate in your assigned spot, and then get on board and pick your seat.

4) what are the things I can and cannot bring with me on a flight?I don't wanna waste and hour or so getting everything thoroughly searched by the TSA and miss my flight

A few words here. Don't carry liquids larger than 3.6 ounces on board- It is OK to put the larger sizes in checked luggage. Don't carry on board anything could be used as a weapon: guns, knives, box cutters, screw drivers, etc.. Do not put lithium ion batteries in checked luggage, A more detailed list in on the TSA website.

Any other advice for a first time flyer is greatly appreciated.

Grab a window seat. Relax and watch the world fly by,. Have a nice flight.